As a long time Moodler I started a few weeks ago thinking about use cases for competencies and learning plans in corporate or adult training program scenarios. I would like to share and discuss my findings and ideas.
Can we set up a Moodle site that is fully /mainly based on competency based learning/courses and how would it look like.?
I'm not completely happy with my results, but it will be possible that I've overseen some options. But lets start at the beginning.
- We can create site wide or category related competency frameworks. A competency framework bundles several competencies and brings them into a hierachical order. Competency rules allows to defines rules that a user gets a top level competency if one or many other comptencies are met.
- Acitivity or course completion can be connected with one or many competencies. Its possible to connect the same competence in different courses.
- A participant can be enrolled into a learning plan. The user sees the learning plans and progress in the dashboard. When a learning plan is created competencies are connected to the learning plan. Participants are enrolled to the learning plan via cohorts. Is it also possible for single learners?
- Its possible to define different levels of competencies. I.e. basic, standard, expert.
- For each learning topic and class level a competency framework is cretaed. They are connected to typical learning plans. At school it could be Class 8 English as a second language competency framework.
- Each teacher has an own classroom for each class in the term. He creates learning activties and connects them with competencies.
- Each students is connected with a learning plan (i.e. ESL class 8)
- The student can see the progress in dashboard.
- There are competencies that are not related to one topic only. (i.e. Presentation competency is an issue in German schools in class 8/9 in most topics for this class level). If each teacher adds activities for this competency students have to do the same/similar very often and teacher don't see the progress/successs from other topics.
- As long as we have class and topic related courses teachers are isolated and everyone creates individual ressources, avctivities and didactical concepts. Cooperation and collaboration of teachers at schools are not part of their mindest (mostly here in Germany). So ist a lot of effort to create courses. This stops teacher to use a LMS intensive.
- Competency frameworks and learning plans are edited on site/category level.
- Courses are created for competencies not for classes. Instead of typical class and topic courses we create competency related courses. Its possible that for each competency several courses are available and the students enrolls themself.
- There are furthermore class/topic related courses. But the intention is different than typical. They are used for communication, some collaborative activities and final exam preparation.
- The student sees an overview about progress in the dashboard.
- How can a teacher see the individual progress for a student? How can a teacher grade, comment the students activities?
- How can we limit the teachers access to his own students in the competency based courses?
- How can we implement didactical scenarios that needs group work?