Moodle 3.5: Quiz Question remain at top as students scroll answers

Moodle 3.5: Quiz Question remain at top as students scroll answers

by Catherine Bailey -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

Moodle version 3.5:

Is there a way for a quiz question to remain at the top of the screen as students scroll down the answers in a multiple choice question?

We have some questions in a quiz that require students to find the correct image that matches the diagram in the question.  As the answer diagrams are quite big, the student has to scroll down to view all the available answers resulting in the question no longer being visible at the top.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Catherine Bailey

Re: Moodle 3.5: Quiz Question remain at top as students scroll answers

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Without knowing exactly what you are trying to accomplish, I will provide you my quick idea.

Whenever I have something "big" in a quiz, I use a hyperlink to it so that students can download it to their computer and see it full size.  This is how I make quiz questions appear better.  For example, in my statistics course, I want students to view a big data file.  I put this on my website, create a link to it in Moodle, and students simply download it and view it in Excel.

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You will find a sample question and the xml file at https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=49&section=11.

The code is easy to understand if you know the basic HTML syntax. It is essentially formatting (color, size, etc.).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Catherine Bailey -

Thank you - this is really useful.  I'll give this a try and let you know how I get on.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ran into the same problem when trying to help someone set up a bookkeeping question. As Dominique mentions, we used the Formulas question type, due to it's versatility.  We also used the Formatted Toggle bundle for the Generio filter to hide portions of the questions, until they were needed. You could also use the Accordion bundle or the Tab Items. As you can see from this partial picture of the result, each of the two toggles is set up to show/hide a space wasting list, that is viewable only when clicked. Using the same technique, you can also show/hide pictures and videos.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Catherine Bailey -

Thank you so much - I'll give this a try and let you know how I get on!

Cat

In reply to AL Rachels

by Thomas Wesseling -
If i change the image of this plugin or copy and paste code the 'given"button is disapearing. Also if i replace the original code the given button doesn't show.  I have this problem also bij the 2 digits addition plugin where, if i change the text"Add the following two numbers:" the space between the two digits is getting larger.

Any idea of how to solve this?

In reply to Thomas Wesseling

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Thomas,

You must check the HTML code and make sure it is correct. If you can not find the error, attach the question's XML file so that we can examine it.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Thomas Wesseling -

It's working now. The only thing i don't understand is how to edit or change the original image. I can't find a folder where the embedded images are stored.

In reply to Thomas Wesseling

by Thomas Wesseling -

It works fine now. I have made a image map where i store the images.