New question type idea?

New question type idea?

by Konrad Blachowski -
Number of replies: 16

I would like to do quiz for my students containing several questions based on data randomly drawn from large data set (let say 200 records). Each student has different subsets for work. Student must do some calculations (maybe using external tool eg Excel or other) using their data and providing answers (mostly numerical) to questions.

The lottery data set would also have to contain correct answers to the questions asked or individual data set records would have to be associated with the set of correct answers.

My question:

Is this type of question has any chance to work in the current Moodle system?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Konrad Blachowski

Re: New question type idea?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I think that I understand what you are looking for because I teach statistics and would love to be able to do the same thing.  The simple answer is "no."

I have used "Calculated Multiple Choice" for some of my needs, but it takes a while to construct an appropriate scenario and follow up questions.

I have also created question sets based upon different datasets, which works well but also takes some time.

Others here on Moodle.org might suggest a few other alternatives.

I don't want to sound negative.  Moodle's ability to create exams for these types of scenarios far surpass those of other LMSs.  What you seek to do is a rather demanding need.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Konrad,

I second what Dominique suggests. Try the Formulas question type as with it and it's random number capability, it is fairly easy to set up a question that will be be different for each student, and yet cover just about any scenario you can dream up. And if you also use the Generico filter, you can have a question include tools such as a calculator, right in the question.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I third the suggestion to use the Formula question type for two reasons. Creating new question types is rather complex and when I used the Formula question type I was impressed by it.

by Konrad Blachowski -

Thank you all for the hints.

I will try to use formulas question type. Does it work under the Moodle 3.6?

However, I would clarify the problem.

I will describe the process below:

1. First of all, I prepare numerical data sets - say 200 sets of 80 sequences of numbers and proper answers for each sequence.
  2. During the test each student receives a different set to work with (eg in Excel).
  3. After some calculations, the results are entered into the fields of the question form.
  4. The question is graded.

Do you think that it can be done using formulas question type?

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Does it work under the Moodle 3.6?   Yes

First of all, I prepare numerical data sets - say 200 sets of 80 sequences of numbers and proper answers for each sequence.   Yes

During the test each student receives a different set to work with (eg in Excel).   Yes

After some calculations, the results are entered into the fields of the question form.   Yes

The question is graded.   Yes

Do you think that it can be done using formulas question type?   Yes

by AL Rachels -

As mentioned by Dominique, the Formulas Question type can do all those things that you want, plus more. In fact, the question type can usually be set up to generate data sets randomly and automatically calculate the proper answer based on the generated data. Once the student enters one, or more, or many answers depending on your question setup, the grade is automatically calculated.

If you would rather enter you own data sets, you can, and then randomly select which one to use, for each student.

While the chance can be setup to be remote, it might be possible for someone to get the same "question" so, at the start of each year that I used formulas question type, I gave an introductory quiz and let students wander around the room looking at the various results. Doing so helped convince them not to bother trying to copy off someone else.  big grin

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Konrad Blachowski -

Again thank you very much,

You convinced me. I will try to use the formulas question type.

Will it be possible to ask you some questions in case of any problems related to using of formulas question type?

Where I can find documentation of procedure of loading a set of my own sequences of data and process of random drawing from this set during generating questions/quiz?

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Take a look at MoodleFormulas.org. As soon as you master the Formulas question type, you will see how easy it is to use. However, do not hesitate to ask questions.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Konrad Blachowski -

Dear Dominique,

Do you have any idea how to enable the student to conveniently download a list of data drawn for him?
Is it possible to generate a file (such as csv) with a url link during the instantation of a question?

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Conrad,

Is it possible to generate a file (such as csv) with a url link during the instantation of a question?

I suppose the elegant and probably the only way would be to edit the php code of the Formulas question. I do not know how to do that. Maybe others could help you.

My workaround would be simply to display the data and have students copy and paste it.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by AL Rachels -

I would also go with copy and paste but, since I know the Genrico filter works with the formulas question, I would think you might be able to create a setup with it to do a download.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Konrad Blachowski -

Dear AL,

could you give me some more hint how to use Generico to create download possibility for students directly from question area they attend?

by AL Rachels -

Hi Konrad,

Could you give us an example of your question and data and what part of it you are going to want to download. The reason I ask, is that in some cases, it might just be easier to provide tools for the student to use right in the question instead of trying to download and use the data in a spreadsheet. For instance, with a Generico filter it is possible to include various types of calculators, charts, or graphing tools right in the question. You might also just need a link to a file that they click on to download.