LTI Member sync confusion

LTI Member sync confusion

by heli g -
Number of replies: 1

I am testing LTI using the Questionnaire activity module on a Moodle 3.5 Provider with a Moodle 3.5 Consumer. All appears to be working well with the exception of the email non-respondents functionality...

The members are synced on the Provider course, but the have no role (in both course and activity). It appears the Student role is only assigned on undertaking the activity - prior to this, despite sync, they are Authenticated users in System, with no permission to complete or submit the questionnaire and consequently they are not potential respondents - so no email is sent. Only on accessing the questionnaire is the user assigned to the Student/Teacher role in the Activity. Is there a way to sync roles prior to accessing the Activity?

One work-around I tried was to allow questionnaire submission to Authenticated users. This did result in emails being sent, many in fact... an email was sent for each user multiplied by the number of LTI instances in the course. Is there a way to consolidate these users, or is the only solution to have only have 1 instance of the LTI activity per Provider course?

I'd appreciate all thoughts

Average of ratings: -
In reply to heli g

Re: LTI Member sync confusion

by heli g -

Update:

1 LTI Questionnaire per Provider course and allowing Authenticated users to complete and submit the questionnaire did not resolve the multiple non-respondents issue: Users in other LTI activities (from different Provider courses) in the Consumer course, are listed as Potential users in the activity - and multiple emails are sent. (In my test there are only 5 Enrolled users, but an additional 16 Potential users (the same 5 people) - so 21 emails will be sent (distributed among the 5 email addresses).

So my questions are:

Is it possible to sync roles prior to the user accessing the activity?

Is it possible to remove "Potential users" from having permissions in the activity (there is only 1 LTI activity in the Provider course) - and what is the purpose of having this feature at all?

My last idea is to investigate whether the Questionnaire module could be hacked to identify non-respondents via unique email address and not username...

But perhaps LTI is not the solution here... perhaps I should investigate MNET thoughtful