Non-editing teachers in Groups

Non-editing teachers in Groups

by Larry Schankman -
Number of replies: 1

Greetings, I've never posted before and I'm not a developer or teacher, but rather an instructional developer (using Moodle 2 years). I have an emergency project involving a teacher who is gravely ill and may not even join the class. For reasons beyond my control I've been asked to convert the F2F instructor-led course to a peer assessed online course (starting Jan 14). We are using Moodle 3.5 and I have no admin privileges, nor am I allowed to contact our hosted support, eThink. 

I know how to assign students as non-editing teachers, so that's not my question (though I'm still unsettled about the ethics of students grading themselves without instructor feedback or guidance). Rather, it appears from my limited ability to test (with few helpers) that when a student is assigned a non-editing teacher role they are no longer limited to assessing a single group. Is that correct? In my tests as a generic student I see everyone's assignment, not just my group members. I assume that's true because a teacher sees every submission, not just one group.

Is there a better way to create peer assessments in groups? I'm aware of workshops and I initially tried that, as it allows for grading by rubric. But my impression is that workshops require significant instructor involvement and setup, which won't work in my case (to be honest, I'm not confident the instructor will even survive her current medical situation).

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Larry Schankman

Re: Non-editing teachers in Groups

by M Horn -

In the permissions of the specific course, you need to set it so that non-editing teachers are only allowed to view their own groups.

Under Course Administration > Users > Permissions or by clicking on the Cog icon > More > Users > Permissions (depending on your Moodle version), look for the heading "Access all groups".

Delete the non-editing teacher role from that permission (by clicking on the trashcan icon).

They should now only be able to see the members in their own group.

(You might want to remove the "Manage groups" permission as well from them, otherwise they can assign themselves to other groups as well).

https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Capabilities/moodle/site:accessallgroups