Grading table - filtering by name is not visible even when applied, in some cases

Grading table - filtering by name is not visible even when applied, in some cases

by Acqua Alta -
Number of replies: 0

Hi,

I'm using Moodle v3.5

Repro Steps

1. Create an assignment in a course with more than 10 but less than 100 participants.

2. Enter the grading screen of the mentioned assignment, where the grading table is supposed to be.

3. Make sure the "Assignments per page" dropdown value is 10. 

4. The filtering (by name) mechanism should be displayed above the table, since there are more than 10 students in the course but the "Assignment per page" option limits the table to display only 10 assignments (by students) at each page.

General note: The filtering (by name) mechanism is not active/displayed if all the assignments (by students) can be shown at one page. There is some logic to it, I guess, even  if personally I preffer that the filtering would be available anyway.

5. Choose an "impossible" name filter that would produce no results.

6. Notice how the name filter UI is still available.

7. In the "Assignments per page" dropdown, choose the value 100.

Actual Results

Notice how the name filter UI is not available any more.

Expected Results

The name filter UI should be available.

"Facts" (to the best of my knowledge, so correct me if I'm wrong)

1) Moodle "decides" to show the name filter UI only in cases when the value in the "Assignments per page" dropdown is lower than the number of participants in the course.

2) The "Assignments per page" dropdown value is global at the user level. It stays the same across assignments and even courses.

3) The name filter, as other table preferences, is global at the user level. It stays the same across assignments and even courses.

The Problem

If the user :

1) Creates an "imposible" name filter in one assignment.

2) Changes the "Assignments per page" value to a higher one.

3) Enters an assignment in a course whose number of participants is lower than the "Assignments per page" dropdown value from item no. 2 above.
OR (but less common)
In the same assignment, changes the "Assignments per page" value to a number that is higher than the number of the participants in the same course.

Then...

The user would see the text "Nothing to display", instead of the grading table, and no active name filter UI to indicate to the user that there is an active (name) filter that prevents him from seeing any results.

In my opinion, this is a bug, or at least a UX problem. What do you think?

Average of ratings: -