Groups for classes vs. groups for assignments

Groups for classes vs. groups for assignments

by Rebecca Soble -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,  (this is about Moodle 3.5.2)

We are creating a course for an ESL speaking program at our university.  We started with a basic course for the fall term and are now working on flushing it out for the spring term, with different students...step by step...

We use groups with enrolment keys so when the students enrol, they are automatically entered into groups based on their class (we expect about 60 classes with about 25 students in each, with 6-7 teachers).  These groups are useful so teachers can see grades etc separately for their own students.

As part of the speaking course, students will be doing small group presentations, working as 3-4 students in groups that they select from among their classmates (not across classes, in case that matters).  Let's call these small presentation groups "scoops" for the sake of semantic clarity.  These scoops are created in the class setting, not online. 

There are some assignments related to the presentations, because as part of teaching them presentation skills, we want them to submit some work showing their presentation preparations.  Herein lies the dilemma - if we create an assignment based on groups, how can we make it based on scoops and still have the class groups?  We would like each scoop to be able to make one scoop submission that would get graded/feedback for the whole scoop, just like the assignment functionality allows.

I know we can create additional groups that would have the names of the scoops and put students into them manually, but we are talking about doing that for about 1500 students, and then changing them for the ones who change groups, join late, etc.  We are hoping for some other way to get the assignments to perhaps pull from an uploaded spreadsheet (columns would be maybe student name, group name, scoop name?) or some other magical method that someone can tell me about.

I read about some plug-ins that let students self-choose groups, but I couldn't figure out the documentation enough to know whether these would work with the existing assignment activity, or how it would interact with the existing groups.

I thought perhaps of using groupings for the classes, but you can't have students auto-enrol into a grouping, just a group.

If anyone has done something like this before, I would be thrilled to hear about your experience and ideas. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rebecca Soble

Re: Groups for classes vs. groups for assignments

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You can have people in more than one group.  You could have class group A-G and then have assignment group 1-15.  You can create a group that automatically assigns enrolled users and limit each group to 4 members. Then, it all works (but they don't self-select).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Rebecca Soble -

Thanks for your reply, Melanie.

I did a test with a student who is in more than one group, one for the class group and one for the presentation group.  When I tried to have this student do a grouped assignment, I got an error message saying that the student was in more than one group, so the assignment couldn't be done.  When I removed the student from one of the groups, it was possible to do the assignment.  

So students can be in more than one group, but how can we specify which group is to be used for an assignment? This might not be the same question as I asked before, but I feel like it's the same problem smile 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rebecca Soble

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

So, it sounds like you have forced groups, which is fine, but can result in behavior like that.  Do you have separate groups enabled for the activity, too? The groups settings for activities has changed since last I fiddled with it (last was...maybe 2.5?, I do a lot with plain old groups but advanced groups/groupings was never a priority) and they are much cooler.  I did a small test run and it seemed to work okay, but I didn't do a complete test (submissions, etc) with each group.

This might be a place to use groupings with groups, it is a little more complicated but might improve functionality.