Question order in the question bank

Question order in the question bank

by Emil Agayev -
Number of replies: 7

Allright hi everybody

I made category and then add 194 question in this category in the question bank.

In category question order like follow:

_Question 1

_Question 100

_Question 101

_Question 194

_Question 2

That's the problem. I want to be order like follow:

_Question 1

_Question 2

_Question 3 and etc.

So how can I do that? 

Note: I add my question to the question bank via vletools.com

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emil Agayev

Re: Question order in the question bank

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think they order by creation date.  Can I ask why you need them in order in the question bank?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Emil Agayev -

Thank for your reply. 

I need it. Because I want to create a new quiz and add there first 50 questions from 194 questions:

_Question1, _Question2,_Question3,...,_Question50 like that. 

But questions order in my question bank make this process very hard.

In reply to Emil Agayev

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Rename the questions with "001", "002", "003", etc. in the question title.  You might need to go back to the source of the questions to do this.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Emil Agayev -

Thanks for reply. But is there no easy way to do this? Because renaming every question one-by-one gonna take a long time. I can't understand why moodle order question like this.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emil Agayev

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Emil,

Moodle uses the standard computer ordering system. You must rename your questions with "001", "002", etc. as indicated by Rick Jerz.

In reply to Emil Agayev

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

As Dominic mentioned, this is standard computer ordering.  1 comes before 2, and therefore 11 also comes before 2.  Try creating files on your computer (except on a Mac, that does proper ordering) and you will see a file named 11-myfile come before 2-myfile.

If you are importing these questions, you might be able to do a find/replace, depending on what the original questions look like.

The worst case scenario is to manually renumber these.  You only have 99 to worry about.  Depending upon your typing speed and moodle speed, let's say it takes 10 seconds to change a question.  Then you can change 6 questions per minute.  This means that the 99 questions can be edited in 99/6 minutes, under 20 minutes.  Even at 1 per 20 seconds, it will take you less than an hour, if my math is correct.