calendar names of months (but not days) always show in english

calendar names of months (but not days) always show in english

by Stamos Spiliotis -
Number of replies: 3

In Moodle 3.5.3 (and some older versions) calendar names of months (but not days) always show in english. If this has happened in another installation please report it here. Any suggestions other than new Windows or Moodle installation, locales or language strings are wellcome.

Attachment GreekLocaleW8.1Pro.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stamos Spiliotis

Απάντηση: calendar names of months (but not days) always show in english

by Stamos Spiliotis -

The month name "December" shows in the right bottom of the attached screenshot and bellow are the translated day of week names.

This is definetely not an untranslated language string.

Could be locales but why only month names and not days of week? And what else would be displayed wrong in Windows (8.1pro)?

To me it seems weird!

In reply to Stamos Spiliotis

Re: calendar names of months (but not days) always show in english

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: calendar names of months (but not days) always show in english

by Stamos Spiliotis -

This FAQ is as old as Moodle 2.1 as I can see:

https://docs.moodle.org/21/en/Calendar_FAQ

It refers to localewin (for Windows operating systems)

which is a variable in my C:\Bitnami\moodle-3.5.3-0\apps\moodle\moodledata\lang\el\langconfig.php file (not a windows command as I thought).

This file includes the following lines:

$string['locale'] = 'el_GR.UTF-8';
$string['localewin'] = 'Greek_Greece.1253';
$string['localewincharset'] = 'WINDOWS-1253';
$string['oldcharset'] = 'WINDOWS-1253';

which I think are right.

Besides, the FAQ says that BOTH "Names of days and months" are pulled out of your OS.

In my case, names of days are ok! Why/how?

Ralf Hilgenstock that reported similar issue MDL-31622 back in 2012, said that "This is not the Moodle way to code language elements".

Frédéric Massart said "The first patch create lang strings which won't be used very often, probably only for the date selector at that stage, but that's cleaner (IMO)."

David Mudrák said "Without looking into this issue deeply, I would suggest 1) let us try the reuse the current approach (ie using names provided by locale) as much as possible. 2) Only when at the end we find that approach too limiting, we might introduce these names as Moodle native strings and inject them into YUI."

So, up to now I assume that: 1) It is surely not a priority to fix this, 2) It is a very old and difficult issue, 3) Locale in windows are not always dependable, 4) Lang strings would be a better solution if not to slow things down.