Moodle HQ dropped the ball with the release of 3.6

Moodle HQ dropped the ball with the release of 3.6

by Niall Sheehan -
Number of replies: 2

With the the release of 3.6.x all Theme Plugins were broken. As the top 3 themes have over 32,000 downloads it would seem to me that there will be thousands of very upset admins, that updated Moodle without realizing Moodle HQ provided no time for the theme developers to update PRIOR to Moodle 3.6 going live. A week after the release of 3.6, none of the top 3 themes have been able to sort out all of the changes made to Moodle so they can publish updates. IMHO Moodle HQ needs to collaborate with the Theme developers before making changes to how Moodle works. In a rather long thread discussing the future of Moodle Core and Themes it would seem to me that the core coders and those developing the most popular themes should talk. 

That said, why not take a page from other platforms and build a layout designer that allows the end user to layout pages as they see fit, Widgets/plugins can be added where ever needed, course pages could be a little more structured, however a Yootheme Page Builder approach would be awesome. Designers could save layouts to a central repository, same with widgets/plugin, all of which can be accessed from the Page Builder rather then need in to navigate away from the LMS to Moodle to do this.

My complaint with Moodle is the way pages are laid out. Content and sidebar. No easy way to change this on course pages. The main menu is also very late 1990's, it needs a menu manager that can be customized easily. 

I see the core and theme as 2 separate entities, however the 'core' needs to be built in a way that allows the Theme to be creative and without all the restraints the current model imposes. An update should not break drop down menus, and if it does the update should warn the user about potential issues before updating. In this case the 3.6 update should have stated explicitly "WARNING IF USING A 3rd PARTY THEME. DUE TO EXTENSIVE MOODLE CHANGES, AT THE TIME OF PUBLISHING MOST 3RD PARTY THEMES DO NOT SUPPORT MOODLE 3.6. PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR THEME DEVELOPER BEFORE UPDATING TO MOODLE 3.6 AS YOUR SITE MAY NOT WORK AS EXPECTED AFTER UPDATING TO 3.6. WE APOLOGIZE FOR ANY ISSUES THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED."

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Niall Sheehan

Re: Moodle HQ dropped the ball with the release of 3.6

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Niall,

Theme developers are already aware of https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/MOODLE_36_STABLE/theme/upgrade.txt which was updated months ago.  And the change as documented on https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Upgrading_themes_to_Moodle_3.6 is 'minimal'.

Sometimes software can break at the last minute and needs to be fixed, that is just the way of things and pragmatically I think you're being a bit harsh.

Moodle is a complex piece of software and I'm sure most admins don't upgrade their production sites immediately but rather test, check and schedule the most suitable time for an update.  And if they are sensible, check out everything on a test server beforehand.

I know that I've not updated all of my themes yet, but I'm working on it.  A few people have asked for Essential, but even with the minimal changes, this can take time.  I monitor changes all the time and cope fairly well with problems that arise.

With your ideas, please do create a demonstration theme that implements them.  I've already demonstrated lots of features with Essential, a Bootstrap V4 non-Boost parent theme with Foundation, dynamic template layouts with Shoelace (where you can alter the positions of things on a course page without changing a single line of code)... and on and on... with things like horizontal block areas, collapsing block areas (from an idea by Bas Brands), FontAwesome 5 free, dynamically changing svg colour, syntax highlighting, alternative colour schemes, different navigation bars....

What specifically are the restraints the current model imposes?

G

Average of ratings: Useful (11)
In reply to Niall Sheehan

Re: Moodle HQ dropped the ball with the release of 3.6

by Guy Thomas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm a theme designer and in my opinion upgrading to a new version of moodle on the live system without prior testing in a sandbox is bad practice. 

It's not Moodle HQs fault if the latest version of Moodle does not work with your 3rd party plugins and you didn't test that out prior to upgrading the live site. 

Average of ratings: Useful (6)