Working on plugin for Custom home page and management of its contents

Working on plugin for Custom home page and management of its contents

by Garrett Boone -
Number of replies: 0

Hi, I've got a few questions. I'm attempting to create a home page that will be for marketing purposes, and will have no Moodle content. It will have a carousel of advertisements, etc. The content of the home page needs to be managed where a list of files/images that are in the carousel, for example, are available to a staff member to oversee.

I envisioned the access to this "custom-management" page as through the admin Moodle menu...and I've achieved a menu item and a "settings page" link to the right of it:

screenshot of menu item

Question 1: is this the right discussion place for this?

Question 2: Can the management page be in the Moodle settings system? I have not been able to figure out how to click on "Front Page Settings" and have it lead to a settings page. It's just blank.

I followed the tutorial for making a local plugin, and I have a settings page item of the generic options type as in the tutorial. In addition to the settings page being blank, I have also run into problems with the /admin/search/ link returning blank after attempting to figure more out.

Question 3: If I cannot do a settings page in Moodle, can someone direct me to how I can end up on a page that I can at least write from scratch?

I had attempted to manipulate the existing home page using the $CFG->customfrontpageinclude setting and used a ton of javascript in the process, but I've concluded I just need a blank slate to make it look like what I need. I know this has been done before, but I am having a hard time finding examples.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -