Track video progress in Moodle

Re: Track video progress in Moodle

by Ryan Hazen -
Number of replies: 7

You could use the H5P plugin and put interactive materials in the video. This would give you an idea of who watched the video, for how long, etc, but requires some work and planning on the front end.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Ryan Hazen

by Dasu Gunathunga -

Thank you so much for your reply. We have already started to use H5P plugin. Can you please provide more details? How can we configure this on the front end?  

In reply to Dasu Gunathunga

by Ryan Hazen -

When setting up the activity, add the "interactive video" question type:

Click the plus (+) in the square to insert video:

I always host with youtube but you can upload directly if you want:

Click "Insert", then click the buttons at the top of the page to add question types:

They appear at the points in the video where you pause to insert them (for example at 1:13 above), or you can adjust the times in the question menu:

Scroll down on that screen above to create questions that are meaningful and engage the viewer with the video content. Also, you can prevent them from skipping forward in the video in the "behaviors" section below the video editor:

Then you can use activity completion, reports, and logs to track who got which grades, etc. The most important strategy here is to set up the questions and interactives so that anyone who "completes" the video will have watched a sufficient amount of the video to move forward in the course. It isn't "time on video" tracking exactly, but it's all free and it's good teaching practice to get students answers questions about video content.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Ryan Hazen

by Dan Bell -

What type of activity do you start with?

Is there a special plugin I need to use this method?

In reply to Ryan Hazen

by Robyn Lambell -

I couldn't get interactive video to mark off in the gradebook.  Looked in the forums etc and I believe it said it was an issue that would be fixed in Moodle 3.9??

In reply to Ryan Hazen

by Alex Ballarin -

Hi Ryan,

We are considering building H5P videos (hosted in Vimeo) to include interactive activities, and also logging the user behaviour on an external CRM (Active Campaign). We would like to know which users saw the complete vídeo and which ones quit before the end. 

How does H5P could help us to do that? Can we include JavaScript code with that goal when authoring or adding videos to Moodle?

https://help.activecampaign.com/hc/en-us/articles/221870128-An-overview-of-Event-Tracking

Thanks!

In reply to Alex Ballarin

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You are "raising from the dead" an old post. Ryan does not have an account here any more. He's not going to answer.

BTW... I'm just going to add something I have said many times before. You can't do *anything* to detect if the user saw the complete video - short of a brain implant probably. You can maybe check if they played the video from one end to the other but what does that tell you? They could have been in the kitchen making coffee while it was playing. It's a waste of time.