Problems upgrading from 3.5.2 to 3.6.1

Problems upgrading from 3.5.2 to 3.6.1

by Paul Roberts -
Number of replies: 12

Upgrading from 3.5.32 to 3.6.1 using Softaculous script. I reach the instructions:

You are one more step away from completing the upgrade process

Please visit below link to complete the upgrade process.
https://roatanschools.org/admin/

When I choose the link, I get the following message:

This page isn’t working

roatanschools.org is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

And there I am stopped. The upgrade seems to have worked and the site is working just fine. What else can I do?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Roberts

Re: Problems upgrading from 3.5.2 to 3.6.1

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The Softaculous scripts are not supplied or supported by moodle.org. We don't know what they do. 

I would recommend checking with your hosting company (or whoever else provided the upgrade script) to see if they can provide support. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Paul Roberts -

Thank you for responding to my plea. I understand what you are saying, however I did contact the hosting organization. They worked for about an hour then let me know that there was nothing they could do about it and suggested I contact you. 

I guess I could try Softaculous, as they are the ones that provided the upgrade script.

Thanks again

In reply to Paul Roberts

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, the first thing to find out is what the cause of the Error 500 was. You should check the web server's error log which should give more info. 

In reply to Paul Roberts

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Your moodle seems to be working at https://roatanschools.org/moodle.  Which version is this?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Paul Roberts -

The hosting provider shows it as 3.6.1.

In reply to Paul Roberts

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

In /moodle/mod/ where should be a 'upgrade.txt' file.   What version does it show?    There is also a version.php file at the root of the moodle code.   What does that file say your version is?

What does Notificatons page show for version of Moodle?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Paul Roberts -

I have asked the Softaculous folks to look into this. Let's see what they come up with.

In reply to Paul Roberts

by Ken Task -

Interesting to note that the Mac version of localhost install, actually has a .sh script that uses git to side load an update/upgrade to core code.  Suggest Softac folks look into git for their installs and updates/upgrades.  Git deals only with core code ... not addons ... so there could be a 'catch 22' IF something isn't scripted to check compatibility of plugins.  Right now, I do that with moosh and the time taken to check has avoided 'train wrecks' in advance of upgrades.

You might pass these 'tidbits' along to Softac folks.

Suggest operator make use of the environment check that exist in Moodle right now to be aware of what changes an upgrade would require ... just to check Softac 'awareness'.

2 cents worth ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Paul Roberts -

/moodle/mod/upgrade.txt

=== 3.5.2 ===

/moodle/version.php

$version  = 2018051702.01;

$release  = '3.5.2+ (Build: 20180914)

In reply to Paul Roberts

by Ken Task -

@Paul

Those files don't indicate you were successful upgrading 3.5.x to 3.6.x.

No remote magic possible from anyone here in these forums.

A hosting/Softac issue ... so with whom do you host?   and from what hosting offers, what 'package' are you running?

Did Softac respond?   Am certain many would be interested in their reply.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Howard Miller

by Charles McCoy -

Why doesn't moodle.org have a similar software where user update their Moodle version easier.   

In reply to Charles McCoy

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

This question (if I understand what you are asking) gets asked frequently.  I am not a server guy, but I will take a stab at providing an answer.

There are a million ways that Moodle can be installed.  Who is willing to write a million installation scripts, and manage these so that people pick the correct one for their very specific server.  This is why Moodle leaves it up to your server company to do this.  And, sometimes, a server company may not do it correctly.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)