Creative Commons Licensed Themes

Creative Commons Licensed Themes

by Emre Cetin Gurer -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

Are there creative commons licensed or public domain themes for Moodle? Could you help me where I can find them? (On the themes list, I wasn't able to detect one).

Thank you,

Cetin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emre Cetin Gurer

Re: Creative Commons Licensed Themes

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Cetin,

The creative commons license is not really suitable for code, perhaps some of the artwork.  All Moodle Themes 'must' have their code licensed under GPLv3.  When it comes to the CSS then this is a bit of a grey area.  All of the themes on the 'themes' list will be (or at least should be) 'public domain' or rather 'open source'.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Emre Cetin Gurer -

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for the helpful reply. Let me ask a quick follow up question. We installed the theme "eguru" from the themes list on our platform and at the bottom of the page it writes "Copyright © 2015 - Developed by LMSACE.com.Powered by Moodle" Our platform advocates for open source/public domain software and hence we wanted nothing copyrighted on our main page. Is the copyright sign because eguru is an exception to the moodle theme rule of open source/public domain or is there another explanation?

Thank you again,

Cetin

In reply to Emre Cetin Gurer

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Cetin,

I think its best to contact them to ask if there is any specific code / styles that are not GPLv3 or another alternative compatible open source licence.  All the PHP must be GPLv3, but that's copyrighted in the PHP itself (a copyright to enforce the open source nature and prevent anyone from changing the code to closed source, like a one way latch).

There is no copyright information in github.com/lmsace/eguru/blob/v3.4/javascript/slick.js - so that is a issue on their part.

I don't see why you can't remove that copyright line, but then its a copyright to enforce open source (I think) so should not matter if it is there, however I'm not a lawyer!  Best to start reading up here: www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html.

Kind regards,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Emre Cetin Gurer -

Hi Gareth,

Thank you again, this was helpful. I now managed to erase that line from the site administration => Footer Blocks. So problem solved.

Though I would appreciate if anyone knows the legal (or any other) function of that line and that I shouldn't erase it for some reason, please let me know here.

Thanks again!

Cetin