PHP 'file_uploads' is not turned On

PHP 'file_uploads' is not turned On

by C B Johnson -
Number of replies: 3

I was so happy to find Moodle.  Now I am greived in my spirit because I am unable to get it properly set up on my server.  Maybe you guys can help, maybe not; I feel the latter may be the case due to my situation.  I have my hosting with GoDaddy.com - nice and affordable up to now.  However apparently the 'file_uploads' is not turned on.  I have tried the .htaccess work around, however it is not helping me because GoDaddy doesn't support that:

"Neither .htpasswd nor .htaccess are supported through GoDaddy.com hosting accounts. JavaScript can be used for a very basic (and non-secure) form of password protection. Our WebSite Complete software offers a password protection solution as well. Lastly, our CGI accounts support Perl, which could be used to develop a form of password protection, though programming skill would be required for this." - GoDaddy's Help Page for Hosting.

What are my options?  Is there another work around with for this issue or am I up the creek w/out a paddle?  I am developing an online Bible Institute and as usuall with ministries there isn't much money flowing around so I can't afford much more than what I'm paying at GoDaddy.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to C B Johnson

Re: PHP 'file_uploads' is not turned On

by Charles Libby -

Have you tried installing it on your machine at home?  That answers a lot of questions.

In reply to C B Johnson

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
You might try netmondo.com

I use it to host Moodle for US$23 per year (yes, per year). It includes free domain name/transfer, 500 MB space, good support, and automatic installation of Moodle via Fantastico. The moodle installation took just a few minutes.

For best support of Moodle, I recommend moodle.com for hosting. But if you cannot afford that, try some cheaper and easier places than GoDaddy.

Don Hinkelman
In reply to C B Johnson

by John Gone -
Martin pointed this one out a few days ago: http://freehosting.phpfreaks.com/ in this "Free Moodle hosting" post. I think these people know a little about PHP. I hope so because since then I've spent many, many hours there reading and learning. I haven't tried the hosting yet but I probably will. Good Luck