"Adaptable" theme - Setting "Location of the blocks" automatically based on the active language

"Adaptable" theme - Setting "Location of the blocks" automatically based on the active language

by Acqua Alta -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

Moodle: v3.5

Adaptable: v1.7.3

Repro Steps: Site administration -> Appearance -> Themes -> Adaptable ->Layout

TL;DR - Is it possible to somehow adjust the "Adaptable" theme to automatically set the "Location of the blocks" setting, based on the active UI language type (RTL / LTR) at a particular moment?

I'm living in a country who most people use an RTL (right-to-left) writing system. While most of the users prefer to use their native (RTL) language, some of the users (teachers and/or students) prefer to use English, so we offer both options regarding the UI of Moodle.

I think that people using an English UI would expect to see the blocks on the right side of the screen, and it's indeed the default value of the "Location of the blocks" setting. On the other hand, people that use an RTL language UI, would expect to the see the blocks on the other side of the screen, the left side.

Of course, it's possible to change the "Location of the blocks" setting manually in the "Site administration" area, but it would be applicable in all cases, indifferent to the current active UI language.

Is there any way to implement such an automatic mechanism in the current version of "Adaptable", and if not, are there any plans to do that in the near future?

Thanks in advance smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Acqua Alta

Re: "Adaptable" theme - Setting "Location of the blocks" automatically based on the active language

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes, you are right. When using RTL languages, the column should be moved to the opposite side of the LTR layout.

Please, follow up the issue in our repository: https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable/issues/971/

In reply to Fernando Acedo

תשובה ל: Re: "Adaptable" theme - Setting "Location of the blocks" automatically based on the active language

by Acqua Alta -

Hi Fernando,

Thanks a lot of opening the issue so quickly.

BTW, If I want to add comments, should I do it in "Bitbucket" or here? For example, I want to ask that:

* By default, the sidebar location would be set automatically based on the writing system of the language (RTL or LTR).
* However ,the admin or maybe even teacher could enforce the location of the sidebar. That is for cases when users got so used to the sidebar being on the right side of the screen, that they wouldn't want its location to be changed, even in an RTL environment.

Thanks a lot smile

Please let me know if you want me to help somehow.

In reply to Acqua Alta

Re: תשובה ל: Re: "Adaptable" theme - Setting "Location of the blocks" automatically based on the active language

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Better add the comments to the issue in BitBucket.

Anyway the issue already is to switch the position of sidebar depending the language direction. So you don't need to add this comment. But it is a good idea to add a setting to unlock/unlock the sidebar position depending the language.

Unfortunately, moodle don't let other users than administrators to manage theme settings. So this is not possible.

If you follow the issue then you could test it as soon we published it. It is always an appreciated help a RTL tester because for us is quite difficult.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: "Adaptable" theme - Setting "Location of the blocks" automatically based on the active language

by Acqua Alta -

Hi Fernando,

Thanks. I would add my comment to Bitbucket.

Even if the users could not lock or unlock the position of the sidebar themselves, it's good enough if at least the administrator could do this.