Adaptable theme for Moodle 3.6?

Adaptable theme for Moodle 3.6?

by Miguel Fabo -
Number of replies: 37

Good afternoon, everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows if the Adaptable theme will be released for Moodle 3.6, and if so, when it will be. Thank you very much in advance for any information you can provide me!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miguel Fabo

Re: Adaptable theme for Moodle 3.6?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you asked Jez, Fernando and Manoj nicely? -> moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=theme_adaptable

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Miguel Fabo -

Hello Gareth, thank you very much for answering. I tried to do it, but they don't want to receive questions there and their official page has been down for maintenance for days. I searched through the comments thinking that maybe someone had already asked that, but I found nothing. So I think I'll listen to you and leave my question there. Thank you again!

Update: comments are temporarily disabled, I'll have to wait.

In reply to Miguel Fabo

by Don Schwartz -

Their site page has actually been down for many months. 

I suggest migrating off the theme as I'm about to have a client do

In reply to Don Schwartz

by Miguel Fabo -

I didn't know that Don, thank you very much!

In reply to Miguel Fabo

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes, it will be available as soon as it passes all the tests. Due the changes moodle made in its latest version, the Adaptable release was delayed. 

I hope to get a stable version at the end of this week. In the meantime a test version is available in our repository: https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Miguel Fabo -

Fernando, thank you very much for your response. I love the Adaptable theme, and I wanted to know if you were going to support Moodle 3.6 to organize the migration process of my web. I'll take a look at the test version as soon as I get home, thank you very much again!

by Nick Phillips -

Unfortunately it seems that Bootstrap 2 interferes with the event handlers in the message drawer, so I'm not expecting that it will be an easy job getting Adaptable ready for 3.6 without also updating it to use Boostrap 3 or 4.

I'd be curious to know what Adaptable is planning w.r.t. moving to a different base theme, especially given Jeremy's comments in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=373899#p1531148 (which I would have to say I basically agree with).

In reply to Nick Phillips

by Fernando Acedo -

Even the new awful message drawer with a total lack of usability and going an step back again in moodle development, Adaptable already includes this feature (with some changes trying the improve it). We're finishing the test, that are going well now, and as soon the Spanish translation is finished will publish the new release.

The adoption of BS4 will be in coming versions but no ETA for the moment.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

RE: Unfortunately it seems that Bootstrap 2 interferes with the event handlers in the message drawer, so I'm not expecting that it will be an easy job getting Adaptable ready for 3.6 without also updating it to use Boostrap 3 or 4.

= Rubbish!!  What evidence do you have for this assertion?

I was able to get both Essential and Shoelace (which are Bootstrap 2.3.2 based themes) working with the new message drawer in minutes!  Also, how do you account for the core Clean theme working in M3.6 without being updated to BS 3 or 4?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Nick Phillips -

Clean is not working for us either.

The failure I see is:

Search for a contact

Click on the contact

Click on the dropdown

Click on "Info"

Resulting display is broken, AJAX request for relevant info is never sent.

Digging into it, the message drawer event handlers that should be doing the work are being installed but never get called. If the above works for you, then we have something even weirder going on.

by Nick Phillips -

I meant to add - when I switch Adaptable's base theme to Bootstrap (based on BS3), the events all work. Looks awful, obviously, but...

by Gareth J Barnard -

RE: when I switch Adaptable's base theme to Bootstrap (based on BS3), the events all work.

Looking at Bas's patch (single line fix) in MDL-64419 this is an overridden template issue in Bootstrapbase, so unfortunately I think you've gone on a wild goose chase and inadvertently 'solved' the problem by changing the parent theme.

by Nick Phillips -

Yup, wasn't trying to solve it, just to start to narrow down what might be causing it. Was clearly starting on a wild goose chase, so thanks for pointing out that tracker issue smile 

by Gareth J Barnard -

Interesting, if I follow your instructions Nick in the Clean theme, then it works, but the 'Block user' and 'Remove from contacts' buttons don't have their text, so a bug in that respect but the buttons do appear.

Is the attached in 'Clean' what you see to for the 'Info' on a contact?

Attachment broken_contact.png

by Gareth J Barnard -

When it should be:

Attachment should_be.png

by Gareth J Barnard -

In Clean as far as I can tell the AJAX request 'core_message_get_user_contacts' is working and getting the data, so not that.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, this is MDL-64419, so clearly still issues with messaging in M3.6 in core - that's just the way of things with new software.  If you ever want to test some code to the point where you can be certain that it won't fail then there is not enough time left in the universe.  Thus nothing to do with Adaptable.

by Nick Phillips -

Yep, that's it. There's one AJAX request missing when that happens. And the JS event handler for view_contact (IIRC) never fires.

I'll be very glad if that tracker issue you posted actually fixes it smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Fernando Acedo -

The drawer by itself is working well with BS2, open and close, but that's all. The features are not working well because the drawer is styled and using BS4.

That is really crazy and breaks the use of BS2 themes (all of them) in the new moodle 3.6 version. Looks like Moodle HQ is taking, again, its own path without explain first to theme developers (the change was no advertised and no documented until a few days before release 3.6) and decided use a mix of styles that are really difficult to manage (some classes are overwritten several times). Add new styles to fit the message drawer to Adaptable was a nightmare due the bad coding used.

And the worse is that nobody test it before release it. Nobody thought that the drawer functions are not working in BS2 (that also includes Clean)? Nobody test it before that you forced to publish 3.6.1 and soon 3.6.2 because the message drawer IS NOT WORKING in BS2?

So we have again a new crap made in Moodle HQ. Congratulations guys. For moodle 3.7, please use BS5, doesn't matter if it is still a project. Go ahead.

by Fernando Acedo -

I totally agree with Gareth. Where did you find that Adaptable (or the themes based in BS2) will fail displaying the new messages drawer?

As I already posted, Adaptable includes this feature and already passed the tests. The only changes we made were in a few styles to fit the design with the rest of the theme. In coming version will add some settings to modify from the administration but not for the moment.

And this new feature can be tested if you install the master version from our repository in Bitbucket.

Even this version is not published, will be released in the coming days because is already stable.

by Niall Sheehan -

Where is the new version? Apparently it's been awaiting for approval for a few weeks. Reading through the threads on issues regarding themes and 3.6 I still feel that "Moodle HQ" needs to re-evaluate how it releases updates that impact a huge number of users. The overall tone in the forums is very negative, feels like the Moodle community is rather fragmented and of late Moodle feels the same way. Hope HQ can get their act together and fix the in fighting that seems to be causing the fragmentation.

In reply to Niall Sheehan

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Niall,

Is the new version you mean by MDL-64419?  If so then given the dates then this will have been over the holiday season and even developers need holidays!  If you're that desperate you could patch your own version of Moodle in around three minutes or less with the one line fix specified on the tracker issue.  That's the beauty of open source software, you can be proactive.

Fighting?  What fighting?

G

by Niall Sheehan -

It's the passive aggressive, unnecessary comments such as "f you're that desperate you could patch your own version of Moodle in around three minutes or less" that diminish the respect of certain people. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond, for what it was worth.

by Fernando Acedo -

Did you read my latest post: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=379617#p1533080 ?

Did you read https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-64419 ?

Moodle 3.6.1 is not working well with Moodle Themes based in BS2 like Clean, More, Adaptable, Essential, ...

The new messages drawer only open and close but the features menu is not displayed correctly as indicated here https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=379617#p1532436

This is a moodle bug that we can't fix. And the messages drawer is totally useless without the features. So we'll not release a new version until Moodle HQ integrate the patch (the bug is already fixed).

But I repeat again. If you don't mind about the messages drawer, download the Adaptable 1.8 version from our repository because it is a stable version: https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable/get/master.zip

And if you want the moodle bug fixed then just add the patch indicated in the Tracker and your site will work perfectly.

by Rolf Geuenich -

3.6.2 is released.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-64419 should be part of 3.6.2 release.

Did someone give it a try and can confirm it works?

Best regards

PS: @Fernando: Your theme is the best I know. Please keep up the good work!

In reply to Rolf Geuenich

by Fernando Acedo -

Since two days ago the theme is tested with moodle 3.6.2 but moodle still shows an error that we are investigating (we can replicate it in Clean)

We'll try to publish the new release tomorrow even if the bug found is part of Adaptable or moodle itself.

by Gareth J Barnard -

What's the issue (that you can replicate in Clean) please Fernando?

by Fernando Acedo -

In the new drawer, when you try to add the user in the conversation as a contact you get an error pop-up:

We tested in different environments and failed in all the cases with Adaptable and Clean as well. The last test was made only with Clean after a fresh installation of moodle 3.6.2. Adaptable was not installed yet.

If someone can test it and fails then we can open a bug in the tracker.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Fernando,

I cannot replicate with Clean on 3.6.2 (Build: 20190114).  What about clearing the local browser caches?

G

by Fernando Acedo -

Gareth, last test we made yesterday was in a new fresh site without Adaptable and we could replicate the error. We'll try today more tests to find the issue in different environments.

by Aruni Perera -

Adaptable 1.8 version works perfectly with messaging in Moodle 3.6.

Thanks Fernando, you are a life savior. Yes

In reply to Aruni Perera

by Fernando Acedo -

Can you try to add a user in a conversation as a contact using the Add button as indicated below:

This option fails even in Clean (where the screen shot was taken). You should get a pop up error as posted before.

In reply to Miguel Fabo

by Abdul Basit -
hello Moodle,

please update with the plugin will be available for moodle 3.6

In reply to Abdul Basit

by Fernando Acedo -

Sorry for the delay but we are still testing some parts. New version will be released as soon the theme pass all the tests, especially the new message drawer.

by Niall Sheehan -

Just updated the Dev Moodle site to 3.6.2 and having the same issues as with 3.6.1. 

The message drawer won't open and on the Dashboard, all menus are expanded and will not collapse as shown in the attached image.

Hoping that the forthcoming Adaptable update will resolve this.

Thanks again

Attachment menu-madness-Adaptable.jpg

by Niall Sheehan -

I have also done a clean install, everything is working as expected with Clean and More, no love for Adaptable. The dashboard is still showing all areas as expanded (see image in last post) and the message drawer doesn't work at all.

We REALLY like the Adaptable Theme, tried a couple others, none offer the adaptability of Adaptable. Adaptable is the most popular of the themes so I'm very hopeful that this will get sorted out. 

If there is anything I can do to assist, LMK.

When adding a Contact (using the Clean Theme) We get the error below.

Attachment add-contact-error-clean.JPG

Odp: Re: Adaptable theme for Moodle 3.6?

by Wiktor Wandachowicz -
Picture of Core developers

I believe this message comes from the following code (the first if block).
It looks like the call to can_create_contact() fails for some reason. Maybe your user or role has no capability of some sort?

File: message/externallib.php

if (!\core_message\api::can_create_contact($params['userid'], $params['requesteduserid'])) {
    $result['warnings'][] = [
        'item' => 'user',
        'itemid' => $params['requesteduserid'],
        'warningcode' => 'cannotcreatecontactrequest',
        'message' => 'You are unable to create a contact request for this user'
    ];
} else {
    if ($requests = \core_message\api::get_contact_requests_between_users($params['userid'], $params['requesteduserid'])) {
        // There should only ever be one but just in case there are multiple then we can return the first.
        $result['request'] = array_shift($requests);
    } else {
        $result['request'] = \core_message\api::create_contact_request($params['userid'], $params['requesteduserid']);
    }
}

Edit:

And indeed it very much may be a problem with configuration. Could you please check if you have messaging enabled? And if both users are sharing the same course?

File: message/classes/api.php

/**
 * Checks if a user can create a contact request.
 * @param int $userid The id of the user who is creating the contact request
 * @param int $requesteduserid The id of the user being requested
 * @return bool
 */
public static function can_create_contact(int $userid, int $requesteduserid) : bool {
    global $CFG;

// If we can't message at all, then we can't create a contact.
    if (empty($CFG->messaging)) {
        return false;
    }

// If we can message anyone on the site then we can create a contact.
    if ($CFG->messagingallusers) {
        return true;
    }

// We need to check if they are in the same course.
    return enrol_sharing_course($userid, $requesteduserid);
}