Accessibility in Moodle Themes using ATTO and Adaptable 1.7

Re: Accessibility in Moodle Themes using ATTO and Adaptable 1.7

by Raymond Reid -
Number of replies: 1
The goal of what we are trying to achieve is to get the page header to flow for a screen reader.

H1 (Site title)

--H2 (Accesshide)

--H2 (Left and Right block sections)

*/--Main Content--/*

--H2 (sectionname) **This currently a H3**

---H3 (ATTO content)

----H4 (ATTO content)

-----H5 (ATTO content)

Changing the ATTO plugin to use H4, H5, H6 will not change existing content to these headings only future content.

Therefore we need to change the sectionname class to be H2, changing the CSS to make it look the same size as a H2 won't fool a screen reader.

Any further help in how to achieve the above would be greatly received.

Ray.

In reply to Raymond Reid

Re: Accessibility in Moodle Themes using ATTO and Adaptable 1.7

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think there are a few difficulties with doing as you suggest. One is that the sections already flow under a H2 (Accesshide-topic outline)

All sections are LIs under that H2. I don't know what purpose that H2 serves, however, so maybe we can do without it and shift everything else up.

The other problem is that I think there's a lot of CSS and Javascript that hangs off those H3.sectionname tags not just in core Moodle but in plugins also. It's a potential breaking point that may have quite wide repercussions.

Can't really add anything about the Adaptable theme issues except to say that you can override the core renderers in a theme so you may be able to change the HTML structure in your theme (assuming you make a child theme of adaptable). But would will still make the same point about unintendingly breaking other things.