Disable automatic youtube embed (3.5.2)

Disable automatic youtube embed (3.5.2)

by Tony H -
Number of replies: 3

Problem: We do not wish to have youtube videos automatically embedded using the URL. Our pedagogical approach is to have the students watch the videos on YouTube (or using the YouTube mobile application on the phones).

Question: Where is the setting to disable the automatic embedding of youtube videos?

We don't want to go through the hassle of trying to teach all the instructors how to insert the class="nomediaplugin" in the anchor tag. 

We've disabled YouTube in Dashboard > Site administration > Plugins > Media players > Manage media players. Even so, YouTube links are still converted to embedded videos.

Dashboard > Site administration > Plugins > Filters > Multimedia plugins page only links to Manage media players, which we've disabled.

I've seen some older posts, but in the instructions no longer work.

Please advise,
Tony

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony H

Re: Disable automatic youtube embed (3.5.2)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Tony H -

Thanks for that note. I know that there is another URL mod, but we are not looking for a URL hack (or another hack, really). We want our instructors to be able to copy their YouTube video URL and create the link without them having to resort to another set of instructions. 

There is (or was) a setting to do it at the course level, but that is still an extra step and extra instructions for those who create the courses.

Is there no official way to administratively disable this feature in the admin panel?

In reply to Tony H

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi, I understand that "URL hack" is not useful to your users. Sorry for that. Web mastering is not my department. Hope others can help you.

[OT] My observation is that one can not hide HTML, and by extension HTML filters, from content editors. Probably you've heard, the web is reeling about the new domain G-20.In the HTML filter of Twitter has created. Mind you, the cyber security adviser to the President failed to recognize what happened!

Side note: I notice that moodle.org HTML filter does not convert G-10.In to a hyperlink, thankfully.[/OT]