SCORM

The Flash Apocalypse

Picture of Dan Marsden
The Flash Apocalypse
Core developersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators

I know... Flash isn't supposed to be a thing anymore right!

Unfortunately there are still a massive number of Flash-based SCORM packages in use, so I have created a new report to help identify where Flash is still used on your site.

The new plugin is available here: 
https://moodle.org/plugins/report_apocalypse

I've also written a blog post about it here: 
https://www.catalyst.net.nz/blog/flash-apocalypse-new-moodle-report-plugin-released

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
Picture of Melanie Scott
Re: The Flash Apocalypse
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Oh, Dan! You're awesome.  I run into stuff like this all the time.  I gently suggest to the course owners that they need to republish without flash and...well, it doesn't seem to work and I'm not the boss of them...

We need to find someone who will take the flash logo and turn it into a zombie-flash logo! If we have to deal with it all the time, at least we could get some amusement out of it.

Just a thought...I read your blog post--you're recommending H5P...have they figured out a fix for the easy hacking of scores yet?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Dan Marsden
Re: The Flash Apocalypse
Core developersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators

Thanks Melanie,

I'm really recommending that people don't use SCORM when they have to completely re-create their content. H5P is a really solid alternative to people used to creating SCORM packages using an external tool and it provides a lot of similar functionality to commercial SCORM authoring tools. I'm not completely sure what you mean by "easy hacking of scores" though.

If you want easy hacking of scores... you could stay with SCORM - it doesn't provide any level of security over scores or completion - it's simple for a user to use browser tools to pass any score they want to the LMS... If there's a way for students to interfere with the scores passed from H5P - then it's probably no better/worse than SCORM on this aspect... but there might be a chance this could be fixed in h5p where-as it can't be fixed in SCORM. I couldn't see any open issues in the h5p tracker related to this, but you should create one there to find out the detail.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Austen Sinclair
Re: The Flash Apocalypse (our experiance)

We’ve just used this on a corporate site. Originally, the client advised that they were aware that they had a couple of older courses with Flash and were not concerned if these stopped working next year.

None the less, they were convinced to installed and run the report. They discovered over 600 courses with Flash - mostly hidden in SCORMs. Once they triaged this and removed ‘dual-published’ SCORMs with HTML5, and those already archived they still had 430 live course pages dependant on Flash. This is almost a third of all their live course pages!

A key aspect of this story is that organisations who have been historically stuck on IE browsers will likely find a lot of Flash content.

Disclaimer – I work for Catalyst.

Average of ratings: -