Shared Portable Moodle 3.6 – offline moodle for distance students with low internet access

Shared Portable Moodle 3.6 – offline moodle for distance students with low internet access

by Stephen Grono -
Number of replies: 0

Hi all,

It’s been a little while since I’ve posted an update on our small project but over the last week have put together new versions of our offline moodle project – Shared Portable Moodle – for the latest Moodle versions, from 3.4 through to the brand new 3.6

The general idea is – although we focus a lot of time on providing rich and multimodal online learning experiences to students, there can often be a significant portion of students who may not have reliable internet access to access these learning materials – this could be due to their remote location, personal situation, work opportunities, lifestyle, etc. While many of us are connected all the time, others may not be. Here, we can preload courses/units personalised to the learner onto a flash drive that can be mailed out – plugged in – and ready to go. All of the various activities Moodle offers, in their proper authentic context and including larger files such as video without worrying about bandwidth and download times, rather than a ‘just the static PDFs they could save at the time’ approach.

Can check it out, along with instructions and explanations, over at
http://steve.moodlecloud.com

This time around have also tried my hand at my first infographic to explain it visually, which I think turned out rather well:
infographic

By updating Spoodle to these latest versions, it should allow you to use the same version as your live Moodle and ensure plugins are compatible and familiar, or a chance to try out newer versions and try out some of the newer features that may benefit your learners.

Much like some similar ‘moodle on a stick’ projects in the past, the original goal has focused on supporting these distance learners, but have also been able to adapt this one to quickly work over a local network for an ad hoc internal moodle that can be set up in advance and let multiple learners connect; or for exploring and testing latest moodle versions or plugins – try a plugin out, if it doesn’t work, scrap the whole moodle instance and unzip again to start fresh. Hearing back from a few people it’s definitely seemed to have found a few interesting uses! We even got a small mention in a conference keynote in Tunisia, which is super neat.

If you do find an interesting use for it in your area, feel free to let me know. I haven’t kept too close a track, but has been a really interesting chance so far to hear from people in a range of different contexts. Has also made for some pretty analytics looking at where the site's been accessed from:
map

Average of ratings: Useful (2)