Quiz Accessibility issues

Quiz Accessibility issues

by nick wilson -
Number of replies: 3

I'm in Moodle 3.5.2. 

When will the accessibility issues be addressed? 

A couple of things I noticed. When tabbing through to get to a question, the answer is highlighted first. Only when you press the up arrow key can you go back and read the question. This seems incorrect to me. 

Secondly, When you answer a question with keyboard input only, you can't tab out into the next question. It forces you to the top of the page (am I doing something wrong within the JAWS screen reader?).

Where can I address these questions to the maintainers or Moodle?  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to nick wilson

Re: Quiz Accessibility issues

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You are addressing this to the maintainers of Moodle.

Can I ask, what is your role? Are you someone who regularly uses Jaws to access the web, or are you a non-expert user of Jaws, for example a software developer or tester, who is trying to understand how well Moodle works? If that latter, you need to realise that Jaws is a powerful bit of software that you probably don't know how to use well, and so it is easy to have it in the wrong mode for effectively accessing a particular page, or something like that.

Unfortunately, the other thing to realise is that, things change with time, so even if things worked nicely a few years ago (which they did, we got some expert testing done) the web browser, and Jaws, change and there is no guarantee that things still work well, so more testing is welcome.

Anyway, your first issue probably comes from having Jaws in the wrong mode. A page of a quiz is not really a form. It is more like a page of content.

The second issue: well it certainly used to work properly in the past. If you answered one question, then when the page re-loaded, focus would be on the question you just changed.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by nick wilson -

I am a web developer testing the accessibility of the quiz through JAWS because we had a client say that it didn't seem very accessible when a blind student went in and took the quiz. 

I am not a JAWS expert by any means, I learned the basic keyboard interaction and went in a little deeper with the program yesterday. My issue was with the expectation of tabbing through the quiz and hazing the question to the quiz be in focus first, but instead the answers are in focus first. Granted, I can use the up arrow keys to get the question after tabbing to the answer, but is that confusing for a blind person? Do they tab through or arrow through a page more frequently? 

There must be some place I can learn more about how a user uses JAWs.

I would think there would be a tab index attribute set to zero on the labels (quiz questions) so you could tab to the question, tab to the answer, arrow key up and down the radio/checkboxes then tab out to the second question. If this isn't how it's supposed to function then I guess I need to learn more about JAWS. 

In reply to nick wilson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I just checked the documentation that the Open University gives to disabled students attempting quizzes, and we don't have any guidance at that level. All the advice we give as at the level of how specific question types work.

And, I know we have screen-reader users attempting our quiz, because we got a bug report from a student doing a language course, saying that in the drag-drop questions, the French words in the drag items were being read with an English accent because of missing <span lang="fr"> tags.

University of Minnesota gives similar advice: https://accessibility.umn.edu/moodle/moodle-tools-activities (but they are wrong about drag-drop questions. There is a way to attempt them with just the keyboard.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)