Setting up a bank of courses across categories and for reuse.

Setting up a bank of courses across categories and for reuse.

by Paul Anderson -
Number of replies: 3

Hello. I'm fairly new to Moodle Version 3.1 but I've been tasked with setting up the following platform: 

A suite of qualifications, each of which consists of up to 6 or 7 courses. Some of the courses can be cross-qualification, so if a student has passed course A for qualification A, then the system will need to pick that up as already passed if the student progresses through different qualifications.

So far I have created a category for one of the "Qualifications" and I've added several courses into that category. I've included an empty course in the category and linked the other courses in the category using the Course Meta Link function to manage enrolments. Is this the best way to do it?

The other main requirement is the re-use of courses as they change from time to time. So we need to have Course A, B, C etc. and also course resources such as quizzes, or a group of videos or documents, stored in some sort of resource library where a resource or course could change and then be applied to any new enrolments for that course. But! the existing/current students on a course must still see the original course/resource that was applied to them when they were enrolled.

Thanks in advance,

Paul 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Anderson

Re: Setting up a bank of courses across categories and for reuse.

by Michael Haynes -

1. Create a template course (Business101_Template) - This course is your current working version that you keep up to date, no students are enrolled in the course and is used as a template for a course that students are enrolled into.

2. Copy this template course and use a naming convention that allows you to track version eg. Business101_v1.1

3. Enrol current students in Business101_v1.1

4. Content changes so you update Business101_Template with these changes

5. Business101_Template is copied out to new course and new students are enrolled in Business101_v1.2

In terms of enrolments you could use cohort sync, course meta link or a combination of both.  There are other alternatives also but you will soon figure out what is more manageable in your situation.

Probably have a few other ways you could manage this as well.  You want to probably set some business rules around content changes and when they happen for example at the start of every semester / term so you don't have a huge amount of work managing this.

In reply to Michael Haynes

by Paul Anderson -

We've tried the solution mentioned by Michael but unfortunately it's not what the client requires.

The client doesn't have any semesters or terms. They run numerous courses at variable start times throughout the year.

We need to have a single set of learning materials, resources, activities, etc. such as quizzes, assessments, set of videos etc. for the courses that can propagate to all enrolled students that haven't completed an activity in any particular course. 

For example: qualification 1 might consist of course 1,2 and 3 and qualification 2 might consist of course 2, 3 and 4.

If course 3 contents are some videos, a quiz, powerpoint, etc. then we might need to change a question in the quiz or update one of the videos in a single place and then any change should be visible to all students where that course is relevant to their qualification. 

I need to know if this is possible before I can move any further forward with the development.

Many thanks,

Paul

In reply to Paul Anderson

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am confused about what you are exactly trying to do, but I did see "update one of the videos in a single place and then any change should be visible to all students where that course is relevant to their qualification" which made me wonder if something in my MoodleMoot presentation from last year might help you think through your needs.

MoodleMoot2018 (Spain and Mountain), "Managing Course Content Using a “Personal Repository”