Adaptable - Navbar Menu -> Tool menu

Adaptable - Navbar Menu -> Tool menu

by Mathieu Domingo -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I'm actually using moodle v3.5.3 with theme adptable v1.7.2.2   :  2018091905

I will speak only about the "navbar menu" : if it's not clear, it's corresponding mainly to this configuration page : http://127.0.0.1/admin/settings.php?section=theme_adaptable_navbar .The file corresponding is /theme/adaptable/layout/includes/header.php after ligne 373

In the beginning, I wanted to add some "items" in the menu, finally after looking the code I'm using the "tool menu" to add items in a tool menu, available in this page : http://127.0.0.1/admin/settings.php?section=theme_adaptable_header_navbar_menu  (Now i need to  think about what I exactly want to add and in how many tools menu to group item with some logic ^^)

The problem i'm having is that actually some items I want to add in the tool menu should not be seen by everyone but depends on capability of the user. (For example : I want to add a Create a New course button, but only user which have this capability should see it)
So I made some changes in the file /theme/adaptable/renderers.php in the function tools_menu, so now, for each line in the toolmenu, i can add to the end of the line a list of capabilities I want to check to display or not this line (using same logic as original, separation is made using|).

Question 1 : Instead of modifying an existing file, is there a way to do my changes in a local plugin ?

Question 2 : By trying to answer question 1, I read this page https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Renderer_best_practices which clearly say :" DO NOT: Use logic that isn't essential to producing output. This includes but is not limited to the following: Access or capability checks. " . It's a bit problematic, it actually seems to be exactly what i'm doing ... So... what should I do instead (and how sad ) ?

I don't know if I should add this here, but if some one is interested in this modification or can give me some comments on it,  the code i added in /theme/adaptable/renderers.php function tools_menu, after $menu is set on line 1911 is the following  (being french, comments are in french too ..) :

//On explose le menu en tableau de ligne
                $lignes_menu=explode("\n", $menu);
                //pour chaque ligne du menu
                foreach ($lignes_menu as $key=> $ligne) {
                    //on explose la ligne en tableau de cases
                    $cases= explode("|", $ligne);
                    //Si il y a plus de 3 cases, c'est que j'ai rajouté à la fin de la ligne une liste de droit qu'il faut posseder pour pouvoir voir l'element.
                    if(count($cases)>3)
                    {
                        //on va parcourir les cases qui sont supposés contenir des capability
                        for($i=3;$i<count($cases);$i++)
                        {
                            //on verifie que l'on a bien une capability, sinon on passe a la case suivante ..
                            if (!$capinfo = get_capability_info(trim($cases[$i]))) {
                                echo $cases[$i]." n'est pas une capacitée valide"; //Je ne sais pas si on laisse l'affichage ou pas, ca permet de voir rapidement qu'on a mal rempli le menu
                                continue; //on passe a la case suivante pour si il y a plusieurs capability
                            }

//si l'utilisateur n'a pas le droit de la capability de la case, on enleve la ligne du tableau de ligne
                            if (!has_capability(trim($cases[$i]), context_course::instance($PAGE->course->id))) {
                            //    echo "L'utilisateur n'a pas la capacité ".$cases[$i];
                                unset($lignes_menu[$key]);
                            }
                            else
                            {
                            //    echo "L'utilisateur a bien la capacité ".$cases[$i];
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
                //une fois qu'on a fait toutes les lignes on reconstruit pour mettre à jour le menu en ayant enlevé les lignes qu'on voulait pas
                $menu=implode("\n", $lignes_menu);

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mathieu Domingo

Re: Adaptable - Navbar Menu -> Tool menu

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The best way to modify a function theme from outside is overwriting the render.

But in this case, your idea look very good and we can test it and add it to Adaptable.

Just go to our BitBucket repository, create an issue and submit a pull request. We'll review it and merge it if the code is ok.

In this case we need you follow the rules before merge the PR: https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable/src/master/CONTRIBUTING.txt

As far I can see, you must translate the comments to English and add your code attribution at the beginning of your code. That should be enough to review it.