How do you add a QR code?

How do you add a QR code?

by Tom Lacey-Johnson -
Number of replies: 10

I am wondering how you add a QR code for students to login and add attendance without the need to use the password. Is there a specific version of the plugin that I should be using to do this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Lacey-Johnson

Re: How do you add a QR code?

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

QR code support is only available in the latest Attendance plugin for Moodle 3.5 and higher. If you are using an older Moodle version then you will need to upgrade your Moodle site and the Attendance plugin to use QR code support.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Chris Olsen -

Hi,

I was able to verify that we have the latest Moodle site and Attendance plugin but can't figure out where to get the QR code to generate. I found this thread and really like the idea of using a QR code. I've also looked at the Moodle documentation for this page and there are no instructions on how to get the QR codes generated:

https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Attendance_activity

Thank you for your time and help.

Best regards,

Chris

In reply to Chris Olsen

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

yeah - you're not the first that has found it hard to find - this might help:
https://github.com/danmarsden/moodle-mod_attendance/issues/357

The documentation is an open wiki - improvements are always welcome  - unfortunately documentation is one of those things that quickly drops to the bottom of my list of priorities, hopefully other community members can help to improve it! smile

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Chris Olsen -

Hi Dan,

That's where I've been looking for the QR code, but I can't seem to get the system to generate a QR code. I can see the password but can't find an option for the QR code. Is there something I need to select when setting up the attendance, like I do when I select generate password?

I'm happy to help with the documentation. smile

Best regards,

Chris

In reply to Chris Olsen

by Dan Marsden -

when you create a session there should be a "show qr code" checkbox.

The longer term plan is to make the qr code automatically expire/rotate so that you can't just take a picture of the qr code and send it to a friend... (or if you do you will have to do it very quick...)

In reply to Dan Marsden

Frequently changing QR Code to improve security

by Manoov R -

Has the feature as mentioned in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=390903#p1575640 of 'Frequently changing QR Code' been included in the latest version of 'Attendance' plugin?

In reply to Dan Marsden

Re:Attendance can only be recorded from certain location, and this computer is not on allowed list".

by Upendra Gawali -
Respect sir,
I am using 3.5.1 version and I'm able find QR code but after scanning the QR code I'm facing difficulty that
"Attendance can only be recorded from certain location, and this computer is not on allowed list".
It is my humble request to you, provide me solution. 
Attachment Screenshot_2019-09-27-14-58-58-568_com.android.browser.png
In reply to Upendra Gawali

Re:Attendance can only be recorded from certain location, and this computer is not on allowed list".

by Acqua Alta -
Hi,
Is it possible that your turned on the "Require network address" option in the specific Attendence's session scope, or even in the site settings scope?
If the network address there doesn't match the IP address (or the subnet) of the computer/device you are using, then that's the message you'll get.
In reply to Acqua Alta

by Upendra Gawali -
Sir, I did changes but still facing same issue.
Please guide me in detail, what to do.