General discussion

Some questions about moodle.net

Picture of Ralf Hilgenstock
Re: Some questions about moodle.net

More questions

• In Moodle app a teacher can't switch to edit mode in a course. How will you import mbz files?
  • How can teacher collaborate while creating a content or an activity in moodle.net? Can they work together on quiz questions?
  • How do you handle an app to app data transfer or is this a server to server transfer?
  • How can a teacher use moodle.net if the moodle site is not available in public internet?
Picture of Doug Belshaw ??☠️✊
Re: Some questions about moodle.net

Hi Ralf, thanks for your questions and we're delighted that you appreciate the project.

While it's tempting to go through and answer each of your questions individually, I'm going to answer in a cross-cutting way with these 10 points:

1. Open in every respect - from the very first prototype showing users accessing MoodleNet from a Google search, we've designed this as something that is open to all.
  2. Difference to moodle.net - despite the name, MoodleNet is not a direct continuation of moodle.net. It has different functionality and has a distributed approach (meaning it can be installed by orgs)
  3. Responsive design - users will be able to access MoodleNet on both mobile and desktop - in fact all of our most recent development has been focused on the latter.
  4. Moodle Core integration - as an independent platform that will be closely linked to Moodle Core, we'll have to figure out some integration details, but we hope to do that in time for 3.7.
  5. Value proposition - the pilot scheduled for January 2019 is about testing a new value proposition, one that makes the sharing of resources more social.
  6. Terminology - we're using terminology that we hope makes sense to educators within the Moodle community and outside it. We'll be responding to feedback on that.
  7. Taxonomy - as an educator, and after extensive research, I am yet to come across a platform that effectively imposes a taxonomy on a global basis. That's why we're testing a tag-based approach that uses taxonomic tagging for language, grade level, and broad subject area, but folksonomic tagging for everything else.
  8. Uploading resources - for the pilot, users will only be able to add links to already-existing resources (including those added to the existing moodle.net). We'll be following that up with the ability to upload resources, but we're waiting for a couple of decentralised storage projects to mature (e.g. IPFS)
  9. Existing moodle.net - we're not going to touch this while we're piloting MoodleNet. The functionality will still work in Moodle Core, all we're going to do is redirect visitors looking for the legacy service from moodle.net to hub.moodle.org
  10. New moodle.net - as part of an overall redesign of Moodle sites, there will be a new moodle.net page that gives an overview of MoodleNet. The actual HQ-run MoodleNet instance(s) will run on subdomain(s) of moodle.net.
I hope that answers your questions, albeit tangentially in some places. Feel free to pin me down for specific answers if you need them!