Allow users to rate each page in a book

Allow users to rate each page in a book

by Sa Ku -
Number of replies: 3

Is there any plugins available to do this in Moodle 3.5? if not, has anyone tried implementing this feature and able to find a solution?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sa Ku

Re: Allow users to rate each page in a book

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sa Ku,

To rate any page in a book will require you to set up something to do it with.

For instance, you could set up a, Questionnaire activity, with a rating scale question for each page of your book. You could also probably use the Feedback activity, with a similar set up. If you add pages to the book, you will have to "modify" your questionnaire or feedback activity to include rating for the new page(s).

You could also probably use, Hot Question. With it, you can set up an entry for each book page and let students "Vote" for the page. You could also just let the students create the initial entry for each book page and then vote. With Hot Question, if you add a new book page, you can dynamically include it into Hot Question. Note: Since you are probably going to want to keep info about each page of the book in order in Hot Question, you can over ride the "Vote" order by setting "Teacher Priority" to control the order.

Questionnaire and Feedback will require more direct work from the teacher to set up than that required by Hot Question.

Personally, if you have a place for testing, I would try out all three, then adopt the "best" one.

Oh, you might be able to do a rating with the Quiz activity, too.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Sa Ku -

Hi Al,

That's precisely what I am looking for, but I am not sure if Moodle permit the addition of resources and activities to a Book resource. 

I tried adding a course as a "single activity: book", but even that doesn't open up any options to add voting or other activities.

Can you point me to any help content that explains how to add activities to a book page?

Thanks,

Sa Ku

In reply to Sa Ku

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sa Ku,

So far as I know, you cannot add any other activities to a book. What you CAN do is create a link on a book page, that takes you to an activity.

For instance, in your book on any given page, you could add a link that would go to an activity, such as Hot Question, to rate the page. The link could be set to open in a new window. In the description of the Hot Question, just in case, you could then have a link to take users back to the correct page of the book. 

I suspect, that whatever method you decide on, it will take a bit of extra work to set it up and get it going the way you want it to.