Display of group pictures in forum post listing - need more compact format - Boost

Display of group pictures in forum post listing - need more compact format - Boost

by Elizabeth Dalton -
Number of replies: 5

I searched and found an older, closed discussion: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=349205

I tried experimenting with the CSS, but was unable to make the group pictures display horizontally. But I'm using Boost on MoodleCloud, rather than the older Essential theme, so there are different divs and such. (As of this writing, MoodleCloud is on 3.5.)

At minimum, I need to make the images smaller-- they're displaying at 48px, and we have a lot of groups on this site, so we use much smaller images (20px). But we need a more compact format to avoid making every forum post stretch to include all the images. I'd actually prefer 3 columns with the smaller image size in the current location, but a single horizontal row would also work.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

Re: Display of group pictures in forum post listing - need more compact format - Boost

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Elizabeth, 

From memory I think the problem is in the forum page layout itself, as it has always done this in other themes as long as I can remember.

It does not get any better as we are all using smaller screens and not the wide screens as the Moodle Developers use.

It's ages since I fixed this in a theme, but there was a way to open up the area where the images sit, which involved pushing the Forum post further down the page. But that said the Username gets in the way...

Example

I'm not at my computer at the moment, just using my iPad but I will try to see if I can manoeuvre the images into a neater row or rows...

In the mean time could you post a cropped image of the page similar to the one I have just posted above, just showing how it looks at its worst?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Display of group pictures in forum post listing - need more compact format - Boost

by Elizabeth Dalton -

Hi Mary,

Here's an example of the problem:

by Elizabeth Dalton -

Turns out I was using Moodlecloud, not Boost, which explains why I could see some changes in my inspector pane but not when I added css to the theme... anyway, this helped somewhat:

.forumpost .row .left .grouppictures a img {
    height: 20px;
    float: left;
    margin: 1px;
}

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks Elizabeth, for the image post and explaining the problem.

I take it that all is well now you managed to restyle it?

The CSS looks about right...similar to what I used to do.

Thinking about it I suspect there should be a Moodle Tracker report in order to get this fixed!  

I'll take a look tomorrow if I get time.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Elizabeth Dalton -

Yes, this pretty much fixed it for my site. Thanks for your emotional support, anyway! smile