Upload & Review print_student_answer problem with 1.5.3

Upload & Review print_student_answer problem with 1.5.3

by Brian Schmidt -
Number of replies: 53
I'm having a problem with the Upload & Review assignment type, which I did not previously have on 1.5.2...

When a teacher goes in to grade the assignment, I'm getting an error after trying to leave feedback in the editor window. When typing text into the window and then clicking to save the feedback, this error pops up:

<!-- opener.document.getElementById("comment[17]").value="test!"; opener.document.getElementById("menumenu[17]").selectedIndex="0";
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: print_student_answer() in /home/httpd/vhosts/myhost/httpdocs/learning/mycourses/mod/assignment/lib.php on line 614

Anyone have a clue about what's going on? Using the standard "upload a file" assignment type does not produce this error when leaving feedback in the same manner. From what I can tell, the feedback and return file all seem to be saved fine, but this error litters the screen after doing so and is [rightfully so] freaking teachers out. surprise

This seems to be very similar to the problems experienced here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=37592

Just starting a new thread on it in hopes that it's more noticeable on its own, rather than tacked onto another.

TIA,
Brian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Schmidt

Re: Upload & Review print_student_answer problem with 1.5.3

by Robert Rittenhouse -
I just copied the  function print_student_answer from the assignment/type/uploadsingle/assignment.class.php to the corresponding file in uploadreview.

Apparently there were some changes with 1.5.3 Moodle that require that function.
In reply to Robert Rittenhouse

by Brian Schmidt -
Thanks, Robert.  I did the same and it seems to be working fine, as far as I can tell.

In the thread I referenced above, it seemed like Barron may have been getting the options for quick grade with Upload & Review as well.  Has this been your experience?  When I installed it into our 1.5.3, it looked the same as it did in a 1.5.2 installation, which is to say it did not have the quick grade ability.  Not a dealbreaker, but curious, since I like the new quick grade.
In reply to Brian Schmidt

by Michael Penney -

It may take some thought on how to handle quickgrading with U&R.

For instance, say you have 100 student course, with 100 assignments of 10 page word files, at ~100k each.

So reviewed files probably need to be uploaded one at a time, maybe in a separate action from grading (though that could be annoying). I'm not sure the quickgrading interface is the best way to go for U&R type assignments, hopefully it is pluggable so the grading interface can be tailored to fit the assignment type?

In reply to Michael Penney

by Brian Schmidt -
I agree, the quick grading interface probably doesn't really make sense for U&R for the reasons you mentioned.

What would be nice, however, is how the new assignment module grading handles the pop-ups, where there is a button to grade/leave feedback and then move to the next person without having to close and re-open another pop-up.

by Pablo Etcheverry -
Picture of Core developers
Hi, Michael

I had several problems migrating U&R assignments from 1.4 to 1.5. In the process, I lost all feedback since the directory structure changed... Everything is solved now but I found that:
  1. The grading interface is not very intuitive. Two things are very important to change:
    1. When you upload a review file, if you already wrote a feedback, it is erased, what is very frustrating.
    2. The "button" that makes the grading window appear is not easily visible. The mouse cursor doesn't change onmouseover.
  2. Teachers, even the hidden ones (authority=0) appear as gradable (??)
  3. Many hardcoded English messages
If you have solved this issues but didn't update CVS, I would appreciate you posted the zipfile here. If you didn't, I'll try to fix these and I can send you the diffs, if you like. Thanks for this great type.

TIA,
Pablo
In reply to Pablo Etcheverry

by Michael Penney -
Hi Pablo, sorry for the problems, we developed it and then didn't use it due to the pop-ups in the 1.5 assignment interface (instead we fixed our old 1.4 assignment to work in 1.5.). Now that the assignment interface has been fixed in 1.5.3, we'll move to the new version, but not until summer semester (June).

So if you fix it before then, by all means send us the difs. If you get it done in the next few weeks, I'd also suggest sending it Martin to consider for inclusion in 1.6, it seems like a functionality that many many people really want.

Best
Micahel

by Pablo Etcheverry -
I'll try to fix that.  If anyone has detected more bugs, PLEASE include them here, so I can solve as much as I can. Same goes for wishlists... the easy ones, since I'm in a rush.
One more question, Michael. The feature that allows multiple teachers to answer to the same student wasn't in 1.4 version, and I'm getting lots of complains about this. The problem arises in a course where there are many groups of students, each of them with one teacher. There is also a "General Coordinator" which checks the other teachers' work... and with this version can't see it. I mean, She can only see her own Reviews and not the other teachers'. Do you think we could make this multiple Reviews an option?
TIA,
Pablo

by Josep M. Fontana -
Before I add my requests I have to ask you how you did it so that when I clicked on the link you added in the other thread I got this particular contribution to the forum with the HTML editor already open and prepared for me to add my posting. I find this pretty cool and useful and I don't know how to do it. Please enlighten me.

OK, there are two things that I would find very useful in the upload & review assignment type. The first one is to allow the "quick grading" view as in the 'upload a single file' assignment type. The second one is to allow the functionality that Dan Marsen has added to the 'upload a single file' type, namely to be able to download all the submitted assignments zipped into a file.

It would be also very neat and extremely useful to be able to upload all the assignment revisions and distribute them to the right users but that is asking for too much. I cannot see any way to easily implement that unless you could ensure that each file had information about the user ID.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Michael Penney -
I'm not sure quickgrading is such a good idea for upload and review. If grades are given at the same time as upload, then you risk overloading the server (for instance in a course with 100 or so 500 assignments being returned at the same time).

If you are going to upload returned assignments one at a time, then isn't it easy enough to grade them at that time?

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Michael,

OK, I see. I had confused things a bit in this discussion since my main motivation for requesting the "allow quick grading view" was really to be able to download all of the files submitted by the students in one go (by using applications such as the Firefox extension DownloadThemAll). If that is possible in any other way, then the "allow quick grading view" is not so important.

Having said this, though, I still think that something could be gained by having the flexibility available in the interface for the "upload a single file" type also in the "upload and review" type.

Sure, having lists 100 of 500 assignments per page is not very comfortable whether it is with the "upload & review" or with the "upload a single file" types. Having to do so much scrolling up and down is not really desirable.  But being able to see more users per page and with more information than it is available in the current interface for the U&R type I think would be an improvement.

With the  "quick grading" view, you can decide how many users you want to see per page. You can also see the names of the uploaded documents (that for me is very useful, for instance). But the most useful feature is that you get the buttons "save and show next" and "next", which are very useful. Why would this involve any risk of overloading the server?

Perhaps I should explain here that I don't grade the assignment at the same time I upload the revisions. I follow a process that consists on three different steps. First, the students submit their essays. Then I download the essays and go over them inserting comments and suggesting corrections. After that, I upload the revised documents to Moodle and the students download them. Once the students have made the corrections, they upload the final draft and THEN I grade their assignments.

I have colleagues in other disciplines that have a very similar workflow. You can see then why the "allow quick grading view" mode would offer some advantages.

A different issue is the other feature I requested: being able to upload all of the revised assignments in one go. That would be very nice and save A LOT of time but I admitted it might be technically difficult to implement. The problem is, obviously, how to distribute the uploaded assignments back to each user. If that could be done, it would be great as any one that has had to upload more than 20 revised documents would tell you smile.

At any rate, I hope I have made it clear that we have three separated issues here: being able to download all the assignments for off-line revision (a must); having a more comfortable interface similar to the "allow quick grading view" mode for grading (desirable and doable) and being able to upload all the revised versions in one go (desirable but perhaps not doable).

Josep M.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Guys,

I've got a patch ready for 1.6 which adds the button - download all submissions as a single zip file - does take a while to process with large numbers of submissions - our lecturers here find that it works fine with 500+ submissions though.

I have got on my tasklist to add a function to allow the files to be submitted back in one go - this should be pretty easy. - I'll see if I can create it this week or next.

- the download all submissions as a zip prefixes each submitted file with the username of the user, and the project name.

thanks!

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Dan. This is great news. Will this patch work with 1.5.3 as well? For next quarter we would like to be use this functionality and I don't think we'll want to install 1.6 yet. Not until it is stable.

Another question. In order to be able to submit the files back in one go, do you need to have exactly the same file name? I usually take assignments in either rtf or OpenOffice format and I submit the revisions back to the students as HTML. Would there be a way to make your functionality work if the extension is changed?

Josep M.

by Pablo Etcheverry -
Ja, ja! I'm glad you find it useful, it's pretty straightforward. That link is just pointing to the "Reply" link (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/post.php?reply=xxxx) where xxxx is the id for the posting we want to answer.

Downloading all assignments is an old request from many people. Looks pretty useful for teachers who want to grade offline. Of course, the counterpart looks obviously necessary at a first glance, but I must agree with Michael's doubts regarding performance... confuso

I'll try to gather all this together on monday and see if I can put some screenshots here, to get your opinions.

Cheers, abrazos,

Pablo

by Josep M. Fontana -
Ah, OK, it seems very obvious now, but it didn't occur to me smile.

Thanks, Pablo.

Josep M.

by David Clark -
Our instructors are facing the same issue.  We have several classes with either multiple instructors and/or Teaching Assistants.  Currently when one of the instructors uploads a corrected assignment, the other instructors are unable to view it. 

Please let me know if a fix exists for this or when you plan on creating one.

Also, I concur that being able to download ALL submitted assignments in a single click would be an excellent feature.  Our instructors have been complaining about how cumbersome it is to download each individual student's assignment (all the clicks involved per student) then add to that all of the clicks to respond once the grading has been done.   As our school grows, the problem becomes more severe.  This is a must have for us in the near future.

Thanks,
David

by John Proctor -

Hi my name is John Proctor ww.jproctor.net/moodle I have installed the Upload and Review module but when I log in as a student to view the reviewed file I get the following error:  (I am running moodle 1.6<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

On checking the link: I have notice that it's stuck an extra e in moodle i.e. moodlee if you manually remove this e its ok but I have no idea how to fix?

http://www.jproctor.net/moodlee/mod/assignment/type/uploadreview/file.php/3/moddata/assignment/1/responses/2/3/action_plan.doc

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I think upload & Review is a great asset

In reply to John Proctor

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I had similar issues with the upload file type and found that the changes documented in the attached text file fixed. Please note that while similar the upload file type is not the Upload and Review - there are differences but they are based on the same work. I chose upload because it is what is included in 1.7 and I have it working on my production site (Moodle 1.6.3 - basically 16STABLE from CVS with some customizations). I have uploaded the zip file previously to the Moodle forums and would be happy to send it to whoever wants it. I hope this helps guide you. I found that the double quote created some strange results that I did not understand (including a double character). So whenever I don't understand something I avoid it and find another way around.  The solution given does have you modify the /file.php rather than use a separate /mod/assignment/type/uploadreview/file.php file.  I hope this helps. If it raises more questions than answers let me know and I will try to clarify. Peace.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by John Proctor -

Hi Anthony thanks for the help I am not quite sure what file I have to modify, is it in ftp://jproctor.net/public_html/moodle/mod/assignment/type/uploadreview/file.php   <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Or is it in a different folder, sorry to appear thick but php is quite new to me.  The last question is do I add the code to it or just make the changes, again I am sorry to be a pain yours extremely grateful  for your kind help John Proctor

by Barron Koralesky -

This assignment plugin (or something that provides the functionality for a teacher to return an assignment to the student) is absolutely critial for any CMS to have.  This really should be included in the default 1.6 Moodle.  How can we help to make sure that is the case?

In reply to Barron Koralesky

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Send me a good working, tested version and it'll go straight in.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Michael Penney -
Hi Martin, I've asked Oksana Yasynska of AU if she has a better version than the one in contrib, she did a postgres version that I think they are using at AU. 

by Oksana Delgado -
Hi guys,
I have updated U&R to work with Postgres. However e don't use it here at AU yet because I have marged U&R and Upload file assignment types to have multiple student submissions along with multiple teacher response files. We are in teh process of testing this type and I'll provide code to Moodle community next week.

I'll check if I have U&R+Postgres code somewhere and get back to you ASAP

Oks
In reply to Oksana Delgado

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
As quick as possible, if you don't mind, as I'd like to squeeze this into 1.6

by Oksana Delgado -
I'm looking for a code and can't find it.
It wasnt' important for our institution and I didn't do any efford to preserve those updates.  Sorry.

I have an updated version of U&R assignment which we temporary call "AU assignment type". It has all U&R functionality plus some additional features:
- allows teachers upload multiple responses as well as manage them (e.g. delete one recponce, upload another one)
- allows teachers to return assignments back to students
- allows students to upload and manage multiple files
- has assignment statuses = {Draft, Submitted, Marked, Returned}

I can provide this code if you are interested

by Darren Smith -
Huba!

That sounds excellent cool I would certainly be interested in it and would imagine many other would be also tongueout

by Michael Penney -
Wow, Oksana, this sounds great! Please do send in the code if you get a chance, I would love to add this functionality to our summer upgrade of 1.5.3 and see it included in 1.6 if at all possible.

Best
Michael

by Julian Ridden -
Let me add my voic to the choir.

Would love to see this. If you could post it here or email it to me I can test it in the nightly 1.6 build.

by Deon Metelski -
I third and fourth that motion. big grin I was going to start working on something like this. I would love it if you could provide the code.

Thanks,
Deon
In reply to Deon Metelski

by Oksana Delgado -
Hi guys,

See attached the new assignment type. working name is "AU assignment type" which definitely should be changed to something more general and modest like... Oksana's assignment, for example big grin
One of ideas for a name was "multiattachments". But feel free to pick a name yourself if you decide it's good enough to be included into Moodle standard distribution (crossing fingers)

by Oksana Delgado -
"AU assignment type" represents merging between "Upload&Review" and "Upload files" types with some additional features and functionalities which were requested by our faculty members. I just finished development and first stage of testing is over, this type was deployed on pur production server. We will collect feedbacks during our Spring Pilot and more likely will add more features or will do some modifications.

Please note that I'm listing just new or modified functionality, not an existing/standard one.

Submission statuses:

Each assignment can have one of the following statuses:

- Blank : student has not yet uploaded any files

- Draft : student has uploaded files but not submitted for marking

- Submitted : student has submitted files for marking (can no longer change the files at this point)

- Marked : assignment submission has been marked

- Returned : marker has returned assignment to student for adjustment and resubmission without marking

Statuses displayed for student on Assingment page and for teachers on grading interface (instead of links Mark/Update)

View "Create assignment":

- Check box "Allow multiple files" - Yes/No

If enabled, then students allowed to upload multiple files for the assignment. There are no limitations on the amount of files.

By default they can upload only one file. Every next uploaded file will overwrite existing one. This gives them a possibility to re-upload a wrong file.

- Check box "Email alerts to students" - No/Yes

If enabled, then students are alerted with a short email whenever the teacher adds or updates an assignment review.

By default they are not alerted.

- Check box "Email alerts to teachers" - No/Yes

If enabled, then teachers are alerted with a short email when the student submits assignment for marking (not on every update)

Student view "Assignment submissions":

First at all, work-flow of assignment submission has been changed. Now student can upload and remove files. While he/she is working with these files assignment has status "Draft". As soon as student submits assignment for marking, status changes to "Submitted" and student can no longer modify his/her submission.
If teacher for some reason returns assignment back to student, then student will be able to upload/remove files again.

-  Size if the uploaded file displayed in square brackets next to the file name.

- File name is not displayed as a link but as text. This prevents students from opening server copy of the file, editing it and trying to save it.

-  Link "Remove"  allows student to remove any file and re-upload it again later. This link doesn't appear for student view if assignment has been submitted for marking or has been marked. It appears, however, in case of draft  or returned assignment.

- Upload file form allows student to upload as many files as possible (depends on assignment settings). Form will not be displayed if assignment was submitted for marking or marked.

- Button "Send for marking" changes submission status to "Submitted" and removes upload file form and "Remove" link from the student view.

Student view "Feedback from the teacher":

- List of files uploaded by student includes file name, file size, link "Remove" (if assignment was returned by teacher)

- Teacher name, date of marking

- Comment & grade (if available)

- Feedback file(s) uploaded by teachers. File name is a link to the server copy.

- Upload assignment form (if supposed to be displayed according assignment set up)

I think this view should be modified a bit to be more userfriendly and easy to understand.

by Oksana Delgado -
Grading workflow:

If teacher grades assignment, the status will be changed to "Marked", if teacher submits comment and/or feedback file but doesn't select a grade (grate = "No grade"), then assignment status will be set up as "Returned" and student will have to submit an assignment again.

Teacher view "Grading interface":

Table with the following columns:

- Student name and student ID in the brackets

- Grade (if applicable)

- Comment (if applicable)

- List of files submitted by student (represented as links to server copy) and date of last modification

- List of teacher response files (represented as textual file name and file size) and date of last modification

- Status = {Blank, Draft, Submitted, Marked, Returned}
Statuses Submitted, Marked, Returned are URLs to the pop-up grading interface, statuses Blank and Draft are not to avoid confusion and

Teacher view "Pop-up grading interface":

- Upload form to upload as many response/feedback files as necessary

- Teacher's name and list of responses uploaded by teacher so far. Responses displayed in the following format: file name as text (not an URL), file size in brackets, Remove link to remove specific response file

- Drop-down list of grades and comment field.

- Name of the student and list of files he/she submitted displayed as links to server copies and file sizes

by Oksana Delgado -
Bad news.. there are 2 outstanding issues:

1. Students can change assignments after they are submitted for
marking
Quote from our Bugzilla: "n the assignment submission screen, the student can pick a file (or files) to upload. Once uploaded, the student then submits the assignment for marking.
The catch is that the student, while still in this session, can hit the "back"
button on the browser and uploaded more files, if the assignment allows multiple
files, or can submit modified versions of the files currently submitted for
marking. They don't have to resubmit, they simply have to back up to the upload
screen and upload more files. These new files, or changed version(s),
automatically show up seamlessly in to the tutor's submitted assignments."
2. I have found out that there is a problem with generating $offset value (general grading interface) when grading pop-up window is used.
For example, you have 3 students listed on the grading interface, then URLs to pop-up windows will be:

your_site/mod/assignment/submissions.php?id=X&userid=X&mode=single&offset=0
your_site/mod/assignment/submissions.php?id=X&userid=Y&mode=single&offset=1
your_site/mod/assignment/submissions.php?id=X&userid=Z&mode=single&offset=2

After the grading using Save&Next button, URLs will be modified into something like this:

your_site/mod/assignment/submissions.php?id=X&userid=X&mode=single&offset=1
your_site/mod/assignment/submissions.php?id=Y&userid=X&mode=single&offset=2
your_site/mod/assignment/submissions.php?id=Z&userid=X&mode=single&offset=3

and if you decide to grade again, you'll discover, that Save&Next or Next button doesn't work properly

The same behavior I have discovered in other assignment types.
I haven't reported this bug because I have hoped to fix it an send patch as well.

Unfortunately I'm going away for a vacation and will not be able to work on the code until April 24

by Martin Dougiamas -
What's the latest status of all this?

Me and the guys at Moodle HQ have been busy fixing a lot of code in the core Moodle for 1.6. What I was hoping for was for someone to have tested this module (or something like it), and given me a thumbs-up for including the Upload&Return module in 1.6 ...

by Oksana Delgado -
>What's the latest status of all this?
we are successfully using it for our Spring Pilot.

maybe it'll make more sence to create another topic in the forum with the code attached and this assignment type descriptrion?

by Michael Penney -
Thank you so much for sending this in, Oksana!

working name is "AU assignment type" which definitely should be changed

How about "Drop Box Assignment"? This is still generic, but it provides similar functionality to Sakai's drop box and Blackboard's, so it may be fairly generic.

by Julian Ridden -
I would suggest going a step further and just outlining what it does. How about "Upload files/files assignment"

I hope to remove both the uplaod file and upload files assignment types to replace with this one item instead.
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Julian Ridden -
That was meant to say "Upload file/files Assignment. this makes more sense big grin

by Ray Lawrence -
How about "Upload and return"?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Oksana Delgado -
I like it
we also call it "assignment drop box" here

Oksana

by Deon Metelski -
Hi Oksana,

I am trying out your assignment type. I have noticed a few things that I am not sure should be happening. When I created my first assignment I was given the assignment view page that had just one area for submission (attach files and send for marking). After I uploaded as a student 2 files and then recieved 2 feedback files I was presented now at the assignment view page with 2 areas for submission.

I just created a second assignment and now it shows 2 areas of submission automatically on the view page. Is this the default behavior of this assignment, the number of files uplaoded increases the areas for submission?

I love this concept and it does seem to work well otherwise.  I almost forgot, one other thing is when viewing submissions the teachers show up with the students in the table, anyway of just having the students show up?

Thanks,
Deon big grin

by Oksana Delgado -
Hi Deon,

The behavior you are describing quite unusual. We never experienced smth like this.
I would need more information, such as what kind of settings did you use when you created the assignment.
I'm attaching a newer version of the code (we have found and fix bug related to assignments where Resubmit='yes') Can you please try this newer code and let me know if you still have problems or not.

>I almost forgot, one other thing is when viewing submissions the teachers show up with the students in the table, anyway of just having the students show up?
Teachers show up in the list for grading interface along with students. This is a standard Moodle behavious. You can easily change it and display just students if you wish

Oksana

by Deon Metelski -

Hi Oksana,

It looks like the new files have tyaken care of the multiple file issue. I do have another question though. I tested all the features out as both teacher and student. When I return the files and grades as marked it gives the ability for the student to upload another file. Is this supposed to happen? See the screenshot below.

Thanks,
Deonupload

by Oksana Delgado -
>When I return the files and grades as marked it gives the ability for the student to upload another file. Is this supposed to happen?
yes, if you have selected Allow resubmitting - yes while creating the assignment
no, if Allow resubmitting was set to 'no'

quote from help page:
By default, students cannot resubmit assignments once the teacher has graded them

If you turn this option on, then students will be allowed to resubmit assignments after they have been graded (for you to re-grade). This may be useful if the teacher wants to encourage students to do better work in an iterative process.

by Anthony Borrow -
After uploading a file, I added some comments in the HTMLEditor box and selected a grade from the dropdown box and hit save changes and I received the error below:
AU error

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi folks

I get the same error as reported by Anthony, but only when I allow quick grading, but then grade individual assignments from the link in the Status column and try to [Save and show next]. If I turn quick grading off, everything seems to work. I have not yet had a chance to scrutinise the code in detail to try to fix this.

I have experimented with integrating Upload and Review and Oksana's AU assignment type with Matt Oquist's Portfolio block. I have just spliced in the code to add a button to enable assignments to be uploaded to an (e)-Portflio. This works for assignments with a single file smile, but fails if the AU assignment has multiple files sad.

So although the ability to submit multiple files for an assignment is neat, I'm wondering if there may be an issue with storing these as a single Portfolio artifact. Although a little more cumbersome, we still have options of setting multiple assignments, and merging or zipping files before submission as workarounds for uploading multiple files.

Perhaps in the short term (Moodle 1.6? 1.7?), we should concentrate on merging the Humboldt single file Upload & Review with the quick grade interface of the AU assignment type. Not sure if this is happening anyway 'behind the scenes' before the release of Moodle 1.6

I'm continuing to tinker with the code, when I get time, and will post details if I make significant progress.

by Oksana Delgado -
This is zipped file.. for those who might have problems with tar.

By the way, don't forget to include content of assignment.php from this archive into the moodle/lang/en.assignment.php

I would love to get a feedback from you, guys. If you find any bugs, feel free to.. fix thembig grin or let me know.
If you see a need for more functionality, I'd love to hear about it as well.

Thnx to everybody in advance

Cheers,
Oksana

P.S. forgot to mention that I modified name display on graidng interface. It includes Name and idnumber in brackets (if applicable). we store our student id in teh field idnumber and needto display it for teacher to avoid confusion when 2 different students have the same name.

by Ian Watts -

Hi

I am a bit of a newcomer to installing things like this - could someone check whether my understanding is correct:

Add the contents of assignment.php into assignment.php in lang/en

Unzip the other files into mod/assigment/type

Is this correct?

by Anthony Borrow -
Michael (and Martin) - The zip file download from your website for the Upload and Review functionality for 1.5.3 does not contain the print_student_answer in the \mod\assignment\type\uploadreview\assisgnment.class.php file. As far as I can tell this and some merging of the language assignment.php file could have a version ready for 1.6. It would be nice to get that file fixed should others wish to test the upload and review code. I have tested on my WIMP server the attached zip files. I have not attempted to incorporate Oksana's modifications yet as I wanted to start simple with what I had working in 1.5.3+. Preliminary testing in 1.6 beta 5 seems to work fine. I used WinMerge to get the best of both worlds with the language files.

Re: Upload & Review with Moodle 1.6: students can't download teacher's response file

by J. Chan -

Hi Anthony,

I downloaded your files (ReviewAssignment_1.6.zip), it fixed the problem:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method assignment_uploadreview::print_student_answer() in /home/user/public_html/moodle/mod/assignment/lib.php on line 716

Now, the Upload and Review is working fine

1. when teachers give comments, do gradings and upload responses.
  2. when teachers download student's file.
  3. when students study teacher's comments or grades.
  4. when students upload file (or assignment).

However, when students are trying to download teacher's responses, the path link of the file is not correct. On the other hand, if teacher himself downloads his own response file, it's okay and the path link of the file is also correct.

e.g.

• when students try to download the teacher's response file, the path shows:

http://www.website.com/moodlet/mod/assignment/type/uploadreview/file.php?file=/19/moddata/assignment/10/responses/2/3/filename.ext

• when teacher himself download his own response file, the path shows:

http://www.website.com/moodle/file.php?file=/19/moddata/assignment/10/responses/2/3/filename.ext

• when students try to download other files, the path link are correct.

http://www.website.com/moodle/file.php?file=/19/otherfile.ext

From the above, you find that the moodle directory name has an extra "t" in the student's screen ONLY when the student want to download the teacher's response file, but no such mistake in the teacher's screen. Besides, the path seen by the students is longer than what the teachers see. It is also longer when compared with other files in the same course.

Does anyone experience the same problem with the Humbolt Upload and Review when working with Moodle 1.62+ ?

Any ideas?

James

In reply to J. Chan

Re: Upload & Review with Moodle 1.6: students can't download teacher's response file

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi

I managed to fix this a couple of months ago. Follow the thread for minor variations on this (e.g. whether you are using the 'original' Humboldt upload & review, AU dropbox, or the new version from Moodle1.7 beta).

Hope this works for you

Geoff

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by A. T. Wyatt -
Thank you for this!  We have the same problem and will apply the fix as you suggest.

atw

by J. Chan -

Hi, Geoffrey

Thanks for your fix at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=46829#218199

You're brilliant. How did you discover the two short phrases that are responsible for the double letter problem? I spent hours looking for them and just in vain.

I followed your fix, and now students can download teacher's reponse file. Thanks.

Regarding the AU, I still can't make the "REMOVE the file" link work. I don't understand how the problem is fixed. Is the file.txt related?

Thanks again

James

by John Proctor -

Thanks Geoff I saw your post on fixing students viewing work that's been reviewed (duff link) carried out your recommendations and it work great now.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Just a question is it possible to have upload & review in a workshop?

Warmest regards John Proctor

http://hnc.jproctor.net

www.jproctor.net/moodle