URL addresses

URL addresses

by Bartosz Kuźniak -
Number of replies: 7

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with adding URL addresses in my course. I want to add .mp4 file link from external server. It works, but video is unprotected. 
www.example.com/movie.(mp4) - how it looks. There is any possible to protect the link for example: www.example.com/ih237YDh&7h4g
I wish all of movies have different URL addresses and the access to the file will be only in my moodle course. Everytime you watch that movie the URL must be different (randomized). Can I salt or encrypt the addresses in Moodle course?

PS.
Videos must be located on external server.

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bartosz Kuźniak

Re: URL addresses

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Bartosz,

It would probably help if you could explain what problem you are trying to solve by obfuscating your URLs.  There might be a better way to achieve the desired result.

The short answer to your question is that this entirely depends on the system being used to host your videos.  In this case, all Moodle knows about is the URL you are linking to, it's up to the external hosting system to decide which video that refers to, and whether to grant access.

by Renaat Debleu -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Why would you hide your url if the url is public?  It is not because your url changes that search engines (and so also your users) wont find your url.

If you want to protect your video outside Moodle, you have to use services like AWS Cloudfront with signed url's and signed Cookies.

by Johan Kenzeler -

If you want to keep them enclosed in Moodle, you need to upload them in Moodle.

If you don't want "Google" to find them, you can use Youtube or Vimeo and set them as private videos.

If you want to keep them safe from stealing, bad luck. We all have a screenrecorder! smile

In reply to Johan Kenzeler

Odp: Re: URL addresses

by Bartosz Kuźniak -

I understand. The problem is I cannot upload videos in Moodle, only on external server. Maybe can I link them as www.examle.com/moodle/pluginfile.php/1/mod_resource/content/1/movie.(mp4) , where only signed users have an access?

Re: Odp: Re: URL addresses

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I don't understand the problem either. Wonder whether you are looking for the https://docs.moodle.org/en/File_system_repository.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: URL addresses

by Bartosz Kuźniak -

Thank you for the answer. It almost that! Creating repository is limited to FTP Moodle server, not the external one. It means files are still on Moodle server. Is adding repository of other server passible?