Mobile App Crashes on Google Pixels and some samsung models

Mobile App Crashes on Google Pixels and some samsung models

by aykut ozkaya -
Number of replies: 5

Dear Moodle Community

Moodle mobile App is crashing on certain make and build android phones. I have noticed it crashes as soon as it loads on lates google pixel phone and some samsung S8 models running on android 8.0.0. 

Does any body else experienced this and have any suggestions about how to debug this error?

Kind Regards

Ayk

Average of ratings: -
In reply to aykut ozkaya

Re: Mobile App Crashes on Google Pixels and some samsung models

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

does it happen with the official Moodle app or it's a custom app? If it's a custom app, can you please check if it happens with the official Moodle app too?

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by aykut ozkaya -

Hi Dani

It is a custom Moodle App. It works great in iOS just run an 12.1 update. However on Android we had number of issues. It is really strange that it would work android 8.1.1 but fail on 8.0.0. Even more strange it works perfectly fine on Samsung S9 models operating on 8.0.0 but crashes on Samsung S8 with the same OS. ( I suspect it is maybe related to the npm, ionic, cordova  and android studio gradle version compatibility. If you could give me more information on the versions that known to work I will be grateful)

I tired the official Moodle App. It works correctly on those models accept assignment submission feature. In both the official and our custom Apps document upload fails on android with an errors 

Please see screens shot below:

In reply to aykut ozkaya

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

we use Phonegap Build to create the app, we don't build it manually in a local environment. We copy all the files in the www folder to our phonegap build repo, and then we use that repo to build the app using Phonegap Build.

Maybe you'd want to use it too, hopefully it'll fix the problem.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to aykut ozkaya

by aykut ozkaya -

Thanks Dani

I will try this method and will update.

Best wishes

Ayk