Adding a Template for Forum Posts

Adding a Template for Forum Posts

by Saba Aku -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

Is there anyway to save / add a template for a forum posts? Something to which teachers may make minor edits and post when needed.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Saba Aku

Re: Adding a Template for Forum Posts

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

No, I don't know of any "forum template" feature in Moodle.  When I want to begin a new topic from a previous one, I just go into the old course, copy the old topic, then create a new topic in my current course and paste the old to the new.

One could do the same thing using any word processor.  Capture all of the initial discussion posts, then give this word processing file to your teaches and say "Use this as a template."

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Saba Aku -

Thanks for the suggestion; yes that is doable.

I was hoping there was a place within Moodle where the templates could be stored for easy access.  

In reply to Saba Aku

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You want a template of "text" to be available when teachers add a new forum activity? If so, make the activity, add the text, and then stealth it. Then teachers can duplicate the activity and edit the existing text as needed. 

Or use Atto Generico plug in to store a preset of text. Then teachers just click a button to insert the text.

Not sure if that was what you are meaning. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

by Saba Aku -

That was quite helpful, the Atto Generico plugin idea sounds good. Will give that a try.

Thank you.

In reply to Saba Aku

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There is another plugin that is great for text templates, Snippet for Atto. It is also written and maintained by Justin Hunt and actually seems to be designed for the purpose of making templates.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Saba Aku -

Thank you Al, 

This seems to be a very useful plugin, not just for forums but for all text areas. Just reviewed the description and stats, there is a steady increase in the number of sites using the plugin, which sounds pretty good too.

I think i'll explore this further.