Copy lesson to another course

ໂດຍ Vicente Jiménez Aguilar -
ຈຳນວນການຕອບກັບ: 17
There is a way to copy a lesson to another course?

Thanks in advance
ການຈັດອັນດັບສະເລ່ຍ: -
ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ Vicente Jiménez Aguilar

Re: Copy lesson to another course

ໂດຍ koen roggemans -
ຮູບພາບຂອງ Core developers ຮູບພາບຂອງ Documentation writers ຮູບພາບຂອງ Moodle HQ ຮູບພາບຂອງ Particularly helpful Moodlers ຮູບພາບຂອງ Plugin developers ຮູບພາບຂອງ Translators
Yes, make a backup of the course, include course files if you have used uploaded files (eg pictures), include only the lesson, no userfiles.

When performing a restore, you can choose to add the data to a course and then select the course you wish (I think you need to be an admin for that part)
ການຈັດອັນດັບສະເລ່ຍ:Useful (1)

ໂດຍ Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Vicente
Koen's method is the right, standard way of doing what you want. But I think that that Audun Hauge's block may also acheive the same thing (although I have never used that functionality), and the Brenstein / Borrow hack may also work for you.
Tim

ໂດຍ Mary Chambers -
Am assuming you have already done this but am going to provide my input anyway - for all those other folks out there who will be reading your posting.  I found a way to do this that is easier that the responses you received previously.  When editing is turned on there is an option to import course data.  This will walk you through the necessary steps to bring a lesson easily from  1 course into another.  I had a lesson that took me 3 hard hours to copy and paste from a Word document into the course and I needed to do it 4 times.  Using this option it took less than 5 minutes per course.
ການຈັດອັນດັບສະເລ່ຍ:Useful (4)
ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ Mary Chambers

ໂດຍ Alison Schubert -
Is there anyway to just copy or backup/restore just one lesson?  When I tried what you described it works great but copies all the lessons from one course to another.
ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ Alison Schubert

ໂດຍ Chris Collman -
ຮູບພາບຂອງ Documentation writers
Sure is.  I do it all the time.   In 1.6 it is part of the backup process.  The short hand is to deselect everything with the top link, then go down the list and check what you want.   1.6 will show you every lesson, so you can click on one or every other one or what ever.   Big improvement! 

And Mary has reminded us about the import course function.

I think I posted my 1.5.3 method for copying a lesson from one course to another elsewhere.  Basically backup course1 that has lessonsA-F with as little information as possible (students etc). Restore the course to a new course2.  Go into course2 check your favorite lessonC to make sure it works and maybe make a few edit changes. Now delete everything except lessonC.  Do a backup of  Course2.  I like to  give  my backup a name to remind me that it is a single lesson. Now restore Course2 to your existing Course10 by adding to it.  Presto there is LessonC.   

You could narrowed down an introductory course to 4 lessons.  Each of the 4 lessons is a review/ or reintroduction for a higher level set of courses.  I have found it is easer to create the 4 courses from a backup that contains all the 4 lessons, then delete the lessons that don't belong from each of the new courses.  But that is me in either 1.5.3 or 1.6

Hope this helps.
ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ Chris Collman

Gracia!

ໂດຍ Mark Penny -
Thanks a lot for this post, Chris. The process you describe for 1.5.3 is a bit laborious, but it works for 1.5.4. Saved me a lot of manual labour.

ໂດຍ Josep M. Fontana -
Mary,
I've tried to find the "import course data" function but I haven't been successful. Is this something that has been introduced in 1.6?

Josep M.

ໂດຍ Christian Blessing -
Ms. Chamber's solution is by far the easiest solution to copying whatever one wishes of one course to another course. Thank you.
ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ Christian Blessing

ໂດຍ John Isner -
It is the easiest solution, but it still requires that the importing teacher is also the teacher in the course being imported from.  If teacher A wants to "share" a lesson with teacher B, the old backup/restore procedure must still be used. 
ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ John Isner

回复: Re: Copy lesson to another course

ໂດຍ clock young -
The method of “import course data” will only import the course structure,but  not the files in discussion forum.
The method of "Backup" and "Restore" will copy the related files too.
ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ John Isner

ໂດຍ António Gonçalves -
I agree to this import solution, but I would like to copy parts of the lessons. Sometimes we use the same lesson but with new questions or new contexts, it would be useful to copy it. The other issue, his that I can only copy a lesson from another course, not copying in the same course. We wait to see this update comming. Thanks.
ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ António Gonçalves

ໂດຍ Chris Collman -
ຮູບພາບຂອງ Documentation writers
Hi,
I have this issue sometimes. Some times I create a Lesson on my localhost without any questions, backup then restore on my real course, then add the questions by inserting them via a gift file(s). Not ideal.

Using the backup and restore process, you can "add to an existing course" just the lesson(s) you want from your course. You will end up with a duplicate lesson in the same topic. I think Moodle lists the duplicate as the lower one (the HTML link id=# for the duplicate should be higher than the initial Lesson, hope you understand what I mean).

I suspect the jumps in Lesson make selection of individual pages a Lesson that will be imported or saved, a big code complication. Would importing specific branch tables without jumps (all jumps going to next page) be something of use?

Another project for somebody else ຍິ້ມ

Best Chris
ການຈັດອັນດັບສະເລ່ຍ:Useful (1)

ໂດຍ Shannon Page -

Mary Chambers - bless you. You just saved my life. Thank you so much for posting that!!!!

ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ Shannon Page

ໂດຍ AL Rachels -
ຮູບພາບຂອງ Core developers ຮູບພາບຂອງ Particularly helpful Moodlers ຮູບພາບຂອງ Plugin developers ຮູບພາບຂອງ Testers

For those of you who can install add-ons, the Sharing Cart block is a very easy way to copy just about any item from one course to another. Currently there are versions available for Moodle 2.3 thru 2.9.