Moodle Cloning and Migration - Easy as solution - True?

Moodle Cloning and Migration - Easy as solution - True?

by MoodleKittyCat . -
Number of replies: 3

If I want to clone a Moodle instance as it is (with branding, content, etc), is easy to do? and how?

I asked one of the Moodle partners who host our instance, they said if we want to clone and migrate our Moodle instance to a third party server, they will give us .zip file to download from AWS and then we can put it on any server? But, the question is how to restore the whole Moodle site as it is and launch it on a new third party server? What process to follow?

Thanks

Moodle 3.5

Average of ratings: -
In reply to MoodleKittyCat .

Re: Moodle Cloning and Migration - Easy as solution - True?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Instructions are here... Moodle_migration

As usual, if anything isn't clear just ask wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by MoodleKittyCat . -

I know about that link. But, you did not answer me about the method that the Moodle partner advised. Is it true? Thanks

In reply to MoodleKittyCat .

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, if you'd read the link....

In order to recover a Moodle site you need a backup of the database (usually an SQL dump) and a copy of the files ("moodledata") area. You can download the actual Moodle code and any plugins again, so you don't need that (although it may be convenient). 

Given that, you can copy "moodledata" somewhere, load up the database backup and point your config.php to these locations. That's (more or less) all there is to it. 

So, it really rather depends what was in that "zip file". I assume it's the database backup and the moodledata backup.