How to Hide Moodle Navigation During Quiz using SEB (Safe Exam Browser)

How to Hide Moodle Navigation During Quiz using SEB (Safe Exam Browser)

by Moataz Desouky -
Number of replies: 10

Dear All, 

I just need some help in how to hide the Navigation bars and menus while the students are having a quiz.

I am Using Moodle 3.5.1+

Also Am using SEB (Safe Exam Browser for windows 8.1 and windows 10.

I've attached a picture that shows the parts I would like to hide during the quizzes in order to prevent the  students from Navigating within Moodle during the quiz time.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Attachment Moodle02.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Moataz Desouky

Re: How to Hide Moodle Navigation During Quiz using SEB (Safe Exam Browser)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Which theme you are using? The people whoe make that theme need to have read and followed this guidance:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=332060

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Theme_checklist#Quiz_.27secure.27_pop-up

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Moataz Desouky -

I am using the Adaptable Theme.. I wonder if there is a way to browse the Quiz without the menu or Navigation bars, in order to secure the quiz environment. I am using Safe exam Browser, and if there is another theme that can give me secure environment, it would be great if you guys could share it as well.

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This issue is already in the To Do list:
https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable/issues/454/force-quiz-to-use-securephp

And i'm sorry but no ETA for the moment. We can try to apply the change in the next version scheduled for the coming weeks nut I can't warrant it.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Moataz Desouky -
What other Theme can be a solution for this issue?

by Fernando Acedo -

The issue is already fixed in the master branch and will be published in the forthcoming days, probably before moodle 3.6 gets published.

Anyway, due the complexity of Adaptable is not so easy as expected to "clean" the page for a quiz. So we made a custom secure.php from one side and we made other changes to Adaptable core that will be applied to all the Quiz pages even if you don't use SEB.

On the other hand, SEB is an optional 3rd part plugin that can be used in moodle only if you install it. Modify Adaptable and test it only for this 3rd party plugin (that has a few installations) requires an special environment that needs time and effort from our side. That means that we performed just a smoke test to verify secure.php is working when SEB is browsing the site and that some parts of the quiz page will not displayed.

So we recommend you to download the Adaptable master branch: https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable/get/master.zip and test it in a sandbox to verify that meets all your requirements.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Moataz Desouky -

Well Done! it worked, still there are some issues, which are: when I use "Full screen pop-up with some JavaScript security" all the Menu bars  disappeared but the "search box" is still there and the window can be minimized, therefore, the students can navigate to another window, and they still can search for the courses and navigate outside their Quiz.

In the "Safe Exam Browser", the Minimize option is not there anymore and its secured not to navigate to another window, still the Search Box is still there so they can look for their courses.

Theme: Adaptable

Moodle: 3.5.3 

Browser: Chrome.

by Moataz Desouky -

Also The user header, should not be there while the students are having a quiz. The window has to be bulletproof against any attempt to cheat or navigate outside the Quiz or Quiz window. 

by Fernando Acedo -

We removed all the linkable elements in the quiz page even if you don't use SEB. The tasks already done are:

• Remove search box / social icons
  • Remove messages icons
  • Remove link to home in logo

Please, test it if you have a chance and let me know if it works for you in SEB.

by Moataz Desouky -

I tested it already on a production site, and yes it worked to remove all the links and menus, still, it did not remove the search Box, nor the Header User, in which the student can still Search about any course and navigate within Moodle site.

Also without using SEB, the "Full screen pop-up with some JavaScript security" Can be minimized, and this allows the students to navigate to different windows.

by Moataz Desouky -

Any update guys?