Authentic Peer and Self Assessment?

Authentic Peer and Self Assessment?

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello All,

Just thought I'd share out some of the stuff our tech coaches are doing.  Over the past year they have been focusing on peer assessment and there is no other better tool than the Workshop module.  Once explained and a little hand holding teachers and students get the hang of it.  We recorded a casual conversation and all the ins and outs of setting up a Workshop.

Benefits for students

The Workshop module enables students to

• take on a more critical role in the classroom, becoming an active part in assessment rather than being a passive recipient of it
  • become familiar with the use of rubrics, and well-versed in specific rubrics that may be used repeatedly
  • have their writing observed and compared to a rubric by multiple individuals, rather than one solitary teacher
  • participate in peer-assessment with students who are in other classes
  • become more critical reviewers of their own writing by seeing the positive and negative aspects of their peers’ writing.

I hope this benefits those looking to dive into one of the most under utilized tools of Moodle: the Workshop!  We've been surprised at the interactions and feedback from teachers using it.
Average of ratings: Useful (9)
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Authentic Peer and Self Assessment?

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Chris,

This is great. I especially like the video format for capturing your affective responses. Thanks for sharing smile

Yes, peer-review/assessment does require some training for students (e.g. van Zundert, Sluijsmans & van Merriënboer, 2010).

Just to add, there's research evidence indicating that peer-review can be good at developing meta-cognitive skills (thinking about thinking) and also analytical and critical thinking skills.

In writing per se, peer-review tends to work better for the reviewer than the reviewee, i.e. reviewing others' writing has beneficial effects on students' own writing (e.g. Lundstrom & Baker, 2009). Perhaps knowing that could bring a little extra motivation to students when doing the demanding work of reviewing their peers' writing, i.e. they'll work a bit more diligently on it?

Cheers!

Matt

References

Lundstrom, K., & Baker, W. (2009). To give is better than to receive: The benefits of peer review to the reviewer’s own writing. Journal of Second Language Writing, 18(1), 30–43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jslw.2008.06.002
van Zundert, M., Sluijsmans, D., & van Merriënboer, J. (2010). Effective peer assessment processes: Research findings and future directions. Learning and Instruction, 20(4), 270–279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2009.08.004

Average of ratings: Useful (2)