Just thought I'd share out some of the stuff our tech coaches are doing. Over the past year they have been focusing on peer assessment and there is no other better tool than the Workshop module. Once explained and a little hand holding teachers and students get the hang of it. We recorded a casual conversation and all the ins and outs of setting up a Workshop.
Benefits for students
The Workshop module enables students to
- take on a more critical role in the classroom, becoming an active part in assessment rather than being a passive recipient of it
- become familiar with the use of rubrics, and well-versed in specific rubrics that may be used repeatedly
- have their writing observed and compared to a rubric by multiple individuals, rather than one solitary teacher
- participate in peer-assessment with students who are in other classes
- become more critical reviewers of their own writing by seeing the positive and negative aspects of their peers’ writing.