Cannot enable Automated backups

Cannot enable Automated backups

by Narissa Tuawhiorangi -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers

This is a weird problem I have never experienced in all my Moodle life.

I have brought Moodle into my current workplace and am trying to set backup | backup_auto_active to enabled (or even manual for that matter) but whenever I make changes and choose save the page reloads and everything is set as the default including backup | backup_auto_active being disabled. (e.g. .../admin/settings.php?section=automated or .../admin/category.php?category=backups)

Automated tasks is on in Scheduled tasks and 'runs' but the logs state (as expected) that the automated backup status is INACTIVE.

I am the administrator for our Moodle and have not noticed any other problems with adjusting and saving other admin settings.  Cron is working as expected and turning on developer debugging is showing no errors in the php error logs.

I can manually back up an individual course without an issue.

I am running Moodle 3.5.2+ (Build: 20181011) on Windows (which I have done for a decade without issue). This build is using MySQL 5.5 and php 7.2.

I've had a look at other forum posts but haven't managed to find something similar.

Help would be greatly appreciated

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Narissa Tuawhiorangi

Re: Cannot enable Automated backups

by Ivica Matotek -
Picture of Testers

Hi!

I have no experience on Windows, but did you check permissions on directory where automated backup should write files? Do your web server has permissions to write in this directory. Do you have some errors in windows log?

Ivica

by Dominique Palumbo -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

how you're sure that the task scheduler work well ?
Emails were send and other scheduled tasks by Moodle are done ?

Do you verify the other criterias to make course backup ?

Maximum number of backups kept backup | backup_auto_max_kept
Delete backups older than backup | backup_auto_delete_days
Minimum number of backups kept backup | backup_auto_min_kept

Maybe also the date on your server.

Bbasic but....

by Narissa Tuawhiorangi -
Picture of Core developers
Finally solved this. Despite everything being set up correctly when setting up the platform, the permissions had changed (either from a server update or an over zealous network administrator!).