General help

Some advice needed on VPS and having Moodle and BBB on the same server

Picture of Alex Craglorn
Some advice needed on VPS and having Moodle and BBB on the same server

Good day.

I"m looking for a server to run BBB and Moodle. Unfortunately atm we can't get 2 servers.

1) I read the forums and found that some users successfully ran M&BBB on the same server. But there were no details.

Does anyone know how to do it and willing to share?

2) We are not sure what config should we take.

BB supposedly requires 4 cores but then I see this "

"I have run BBB on Intel Pentium 2.4ghz with 2gb ram and did 20concurrent(with few video streams) successfully"

Our distance learning student base is pretty low, for the time being, about it's about 20-30 users.

We are interested in getting one of the Netcup's root servers with dedicated cores and ram, but we are still debating whether RS 1000 ( Intel® Xeon® Gold 6140  8 GB DDR4 RAM (ECC)  2 dedicated cores  40 GB SSD / 320 GB SAS) would run BBB great despite having just 2 cores or should we get RS 2000(Intel® Xeon® Gold 6140 16 GB DDR4 RAM (ECC) 4 dedicated cores 60 GB SSD / 480 GB SAS)

Thank you in advance

Average of ratings: -
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: Some advice needed on VPS and having Moodle and BBB on the same server
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersTesters

BBB? Big Blue Button? 

Isn't there a plugin for using BBB in Moodle? Why do you need 2 servers? 

For most VM servers, 2 cores are sufficient, I would have thought, but the RAM is always the more the merrier. That depends on your VM construct too, I understand, bare metal HVs are obviously better than shells like VMWare's Workstation, your Guest is not seriously competing with your Host for resources...

But I am redesigning my network now for a 16 core chip with 96GB RAM for precisely this purpose. We are running 5 servers on three different secondhand, donated pcs, so want to get it better... bit restricted on resources, (read shoestring budget would be a step up for us...smile

Picture of Alex Craglorn

"Big Blue Button?"

Yeah.

Yes there is a plugin for better integration but BBB and moodle use the same port 80 and changing it for BBB is not recommended coz according to its devs there will be issues

Do you know if it's safe to change Moodle port from 80 to something else?

"I am redesigning my network now for a 16 core chip with 96GB RAM for precisely this purpose. We are running 5 servers on three different secondhand, donated pcs"

Nice ;) Mind me asking what are you running on them?

Cheers

moi!!! it is what is is...
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersTesters

The port 80, as I understand it, is the default listening port for a server, the #2 port is 8080, and BBB uses port 80 as other ports do not allow HTTP tunnelling (that's from their web site). The competition for resources between web servers and BBB interferes with the operation of both BBB and the server. Best option may be to go into the server config file, like conf/httpd.conf in Apache, and where is says Listen 80 change that to Listen 8080 or if you decide to use HTTPS, you can set BBB to port 443 and the web server to 6443, that should work. No idea what it is in IIS, but I understand it is unnecessarily complicated, which is in keeping with Dark Side technologies... 

A few retired and semi retired neighbours had decided to set up a "Men's Shed" down at the local neighbourhood centre. There's the typical wood and metal working shops, and some other stuff, underwater basket weaving, yak wrestling or some such and I got roped in to the tech projects. They're building a complete network, with web and mail servers, (complete with MMM now), a file server, and two backup servers, getting it ready so that when they can afford an internet connection and a web site, they can have full control locally. Pretty ambitious, but good on them for having a go. Mostly it's about teaching the members how to use basic computing technologies, and their skill levels are erm...really diverse.mixed