We need a new mindset for learning. How can we use Moodle in a new way? A few thoughts.

We need a new mindset for learning. How can we use Moodle in a new way? A few thoughts.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Learning should change. Its an worldwide ongoing discussion that we need a new mindset for learning (processes). The discussion is not limited to one area of learning. Schools, schools for vocational training, universities and corporates are in discussion. Even if the discussion is splitted in different fields of learning there are similarities.

• The world is changing fast and faster. Predictions are (mostly) impossible. We can't forecast the  requirements for qualifications for the next years.
  • Accumulation of knowledge can't be the main focus of education in future. Creating a  basic knowledge and an attitude (some people including me use the term mindset) will be more important. We need  a mindset that supports each learner to be a self organized learner. Accumulated knowledge is nice, but what we need more and more is the ability use additional knowledge when it is needed. Micro content that everyone can find and has access when its required may be one aspect.
  • Workplace structures are changing quickly. Networks are replacing hierarchies. Huge corporates are getting more agile or are trying to change in this direction. In the moment this are experiments. We will see over the next two or three years what works and what fails. But the new mindset is that if something fails, we learn and change our structures and processes immidiately.
  • The consequence is  that the organization will not be structured by a central department. The HR department will not be  able to define the global or central learning programs. They don't know what  a decentral tribe/department really needs next week, next month, next year... Trying to define long time learning plans may make sense only in a few basic areas of learning.  Most of them will be outdated during first run.
  • In German schools we see a similar discussion. There is  a move from unique syllabus for everyone to individual support for each student. From syllabus to competency based learning. In vocational training schools that are mandatory in Germany for most young people who are not at university level knowbody  knows how to be up to date with the training programs if the structure and requirements for job profiles are changing so quickly.

The general direction of this discussion is that each learner has more and more individual responsibility for his/her learnings. The mind set is getting more and more relevant.
There is an old term in German 'ausgelernt'. Its from the last century and means that you have learnt each and everything what you need for your life after school, university and may be the first years on the job. You don't have to learn anymore. This is an old mindset that will never come back.

Reflecting this situation and the future requirements we should look what the role of a LMS will be in future and what the effective use is in most of the institutions that are using an LMS. My experience is based mostly on German institutions and corporates. In other regions it may be different. What can we see?

• Courses are set up by a central administration/management.
  • A teacher/trainer defines the structure and the learning process.
  • Student activities are graded.
  • There is no deep wish for discussion and communication is mostly not forced.
  • The paradigma of a teacher centered learning scenario is 1:1 adapted to the LMS courses
  • SCORM packages are the favoured content type in corporates. SCORMs are by definition teacher centered scenarios. Communication and real reflection between humans are not integrated in SCORM standard definition.

Over the last decade we had a lot of discussions about LMS and the future of LMS. 'The LMS is dead.' 'eLearning is dead'. I've heard a lot of this. LMS will be replaced by blogs, wikis, social media, tools like Trello or activity streams. Looking into the real world we see that institutions are using LMS systems like Moodle and daily new sites are set up. It will be interesting to see how LMS systems can work with the new mindset and requirements.

I'm now working with Moodle since more than 15 years. I was  working as a corporate trainer, OD process consultant, moderator and coach. I see daily how LMS systems are used. As moderator of the German Moodle community I see all the time requests for very interesting learning scenarios. Its interesting to see that we can realize them mostly with Moodle and that there is not only one way to do it. Often there are several options to realize it. There is no other platform that can support the scenarios in such a flexible way like Moodle. Something is very easy to do. Somethimes we need a workaround or an additional plugin. And sometime, but not very often, we have to say, its not possible but we can create a new plugin.

How is this possible? When Martin Dougiamas started the development for Moodle he  also had  a mindset: learning is a social process and  a theory of social constructivism. At his own private website that is not very well known you can find the basics https://dougiamas.com/archives/. Specially: https://dougiamas.com/archives/a-journey-into-constructivism/.
This means Moodle integrates tools and options for scenarios that activates the learner. This begins with the interest feature in the personal profile that can be used to identify other platform users with the same interests. There are sitewide personal blogs, wikis, workshop and a very flexible role model
Most of these featurs are used rarely. We see that institutions asks to deactivate or limit the internal messenger, who supports sitewide communication between users. Cynical I would say this are the last fights of an old mindset that tries to control each and everything.

A LMS is a tool. There are humans deciding how to use a tool. Nothing happens only because there is a tool. The mindset of the users, their paradigma of learning and the real use of the tools is key.

Online courses that are used for file storage are cemeteries. Courses that are used only for announcements are not a place for communication. Communication only happens if someone starts and supports the communication. Using courses for exam and exam preparation may make sense, but this is not the sole idea of learning.
By the way, the hype around xMOOCs and cMoocs is also part of the old paradigma of a teacher centered learning model. Looks mostly nice, but its an old fashioned model.

I'm thinking how we can design a LMS that supports the new paradigma of learning. What are the features we have in Moodle, what is missing and what should be developed. Here are some aspects:

• There are hidden categories for mandatory courses. They are hidden because users are enrolled from cohorts and not by individual search and personal enrollment.
  • There are categories for internal communities. They are open, everyone can register, read, comment  and post. Push notification to your mobile device and offline working are possible.
  • Learning nuggets are curated content and organized by topics.
  • Tags are used consequent. They can be used to find content.
  • Global search is an additional feature for content search.
  • Users are supported to use the profile, to write in blogs and to get in contact with other users. Tags are connecting the elements.
  • At starting page users find featured courses and RSS feeds from central announcements about curated content and last topics from communities.
  • Every user can create own courses. S/he can use templates for different types of courses with eLeDia Course Wizard.
  • Badges are supporting motivation.
  • The platform is used for communication. This happens often. Everyone can create own open or restricted communities.
  • Each content element is connected with features for communication, comments, critic and improvement.

This is not an utopia. This is possible within Moodle today. We have to overcome the old paradigma and to start with a new mindset. Think new.

What are you ideas?

Ralf

This post as originally published in German language in the German Moodle community yesterday.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: We need a new mindset for learning. How can we use Moodle in a new way? A few thoughts.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Wow! Again a wide ranging view of Moodle and its uses. Thank you Ralf for this it raises a number of seriously engaging points. 

My own experience has been that I have found myself marginalized for arguing that very point about control. Educators need to surrender control to the learners, just providing an outcome and a framework for their learning and allowing the learner to reach that outcome in their own way. Omni-directional communication is the main tool for that I think. Our traditional  learning methodologies have been based on the teacher as the transmitter and conduit of the accumulated received wisdom. The problem I see is that the received wisdom is now available in so many different formats, now has so many different sources and is now grown so large that the single transmitter, or conduit, is made redundant. Educators, educational authorities, politicians and Rupert Murdoch all need to understand this, but the conservative mindset refuses to accept this as a possibility. 

There is nothing as bad as be right at the wrong time, or being so far ahead of the pack they think you too different to be of interest. Scott McNealy, one of my heroes, said "If everyone thinks you are doing the right thing, then everyone would be doing it. Have a controversial strategy." (He also said that if the world has no fences then who needs Gates...smile )   

This is what people like Chris K are doing and I would live to catch up to them, but...sad

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: We need a new mindset for learning. How can we use Moodle in a new way? A few thoughts.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Colin,

thanks for your response. I will split my answer in different aspects.

• Primary Schools have a lot of experience with a Montessorie based approach. Kids are learning with self organized processes. The role of teacher changes here.
  • Portfolio work. If portfolios are a central aspect of school learning scenarios based on collections and as reflection we willl win  a lot.
    The Oscar von Miller School for vocational training in Kassel  (Germany) is a good example how learning and teaching can change at a traditional school. The role of the teacher has changed to a learing coach or learning consultant.  The students are between 15 and 18 years old.  Here is a German report https://www.joeran.de/heinz-dieter-hirth/, https://app.box.com/s/484d5412b008c198f1e0 or
  • Corporate Learning and grading. When I go to a one day classroom training in my company normally nobody will ask me to do a quiz at the end of the day. But why are we designing quizzes in onine learning in corporates. We should discuss about the function of the quiz in the learning process and the purpose of a  training program.
Corporates that are using LMs systems often start and use them for solely for all these mandatory courses every employee has to do year by year: compliance, healt&safety, privacy etc. Everyone like this courses smile.  If a platform  has the reputation to be the tool for this typpe of learning it will be a lot of work to give the platform a new spirit.  But this is the job we have to do.

Ralf
By the way. Who is Chris K.?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Chris Kenniberg, from Detroit, USA, developer of the Fordson theme, plugin developer, a Moodle expert's, expert and someone who is a thinker about these issues as well. His experience in the Dearborn School District is different than yours, but there is a lot of questions you both raise that are similar. The first post, pinned to the top of this forum, and another Chris has made here really outline some of the things they are doing and the directions the DSD is going in. Unfortunately, I am time warping back to the 20th Century at times so am stuck with the "How do I..." and "Why should we bother?" questions. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

1) Chris KennibUrg, actually ;) - cf. https://moodle.org/user/view.php?id=26675&course=5 .

2) The questions "Why bother" and "How do I" are still valid at least until Moodle becomes smooth enough. And they will remain valid thereafter, I believe, as some of us do not wish tech to take over our lives - cf. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/style/digital-divide-screens-schools.html .

Regards,

Przemek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Colin

With due respect to Chris K.'s work, I question whether bringing a US K-12 project as the prime example of Moodle shows a US-centric attitude. The thread https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=358911 being sticky here in Comparison and advocacy forms supports this bias. The normal sticky thread is administrative and specific to the forum, like "Read this before you post" kind https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=356184. But here it is just an (one) example usage. I don't have to tell you the vast spectrum of applications of Moodle.

I hate to say this. But marching your school kids to Google https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=361974#p1519863 is not ethical either. I don't want to open a big discussion on this. But somebody has to point this out. It is perfectly OK with me, if nobody wants to talk.
;-(

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Sad to hear there might be the perception of bias or US-centric attitude.  

Our post might be pinned because we laid out in more detail than most what we are trying to accomplish.  It's part PR for other K-12 districts (which we actively seek to convert to Moodle) and part sharing to inspire others.  Whether we are from the US or elsewhere it is a very compelling success story that includes both the software and reasoning behind it. 

My personal fear is there is much more traction for Moodle happening in the EU and Spanish speaking areas.  This might cause Moodle to devote more resources there and less in the US where there is more competition.

I would hope that others would share like we have in how they built learning communities/platforms using Moodle.  It's the exchange of ideas that creates synergy and new ways of doing things to help students.  Much more powerful than the tools we use are the ideas, methods, and implementation that I also attempted to highlight in that discussion.  We are playing the long-game.  We've been at this for some time and have no plans to change course with our support and involvement in open source educational projects.

As for Google... much like Microsoft there is always a tradeoff both ethical and financial.  We can purchase 2 or 3 Chromebooks for the cost of a single laptop or iPad.  Unlike a tuition-based college, the math adds up quickly with a limited K-12 budget that is smaller and smaller in the US every year.  We pinch pennies.  Providing technology for 22,000 students is no easy feat.  Managing devices for 22,000 students is no easy feat.  Google has the best management tools Chromebooks and their office suite is ideal for sharing and collaboration.  We can deploy our lockdown browser App to 17,000 chromebooks in minutes from a web interface.  That doesn't exist in open source very easily or as integrated as it does with Google's products.  Sometimes you have to make compromises and each organization has to weigh the pros and cons of Google Ed or MS 360 and how much student data is shared in order to successfully educate students.  We don't have the manpower or hours in the day to develop our own management and backend infrastructure to compete with the out-the-box solutions from Google or Microsoft.

Today it is Google.  Tomorrow it might be the company from the kid tinkering in their garage. 
It's our job to give that kid in the garage the tools and skills to pursue his/her dream to the fullest.  

Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hallo Ralf

There is enough stuff for years to come! I am glad that you posted this also in German.

@For the German speakers, the post is in the Pädagogisches Forum under "Lernplattformen wie wir sie kennen und nutzen sind kontraproduktiv ... " https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=378123.