Boost - Collapse Right Blocks Progress

Re: Boost - Collapse Right Blocks Progress

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Exploring Moodle 3.7, I added the following comment to my MDL-57305 feature request.  If anyone has any ideas, I am interested in hearing them.

"Daniel (and others), I was testing Moodle 3.7 today and discovered that the code fixes that I have been applying do not translate to Moodle 3.7.  Yep, I knew that this would eventually happen.  The files contained within ../boost/temples is completely different.  I am stuck not knowing what to do.  Daniel, maybe you already know how to implement your "collapsed blocks" feature into 3.7.  Maybe there is an easier way?  Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Since the right-side blocks in boost serve many purposes, the ability to collapse them remains important.  For example, I use the "Online Users" block, and this semester, having 145 students in one course, this block grew in size when a lot of users were in Moodle.  Also, I use the Checklist add-in block, which shows all 145 students.  Again, the right side grows in size."

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rick Jerz -

I finally got back to working on "collapsing right blocks" that broke with Moodle 3.7.  There were no significant changes.  It was just that I needed to find where some of these files had moved to, in 3.7, and apply some minor cosmetic changes.  Below are my notes about what needs to be done.  Daniel had done most of the work, and without his initial help, I would not have had success.  Thanks, Daniel.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gloria del Pilar Villarreal Cuellar -

Hi Rick! I was wondering if this was the right way to do it on Moodle 3.8.2+ I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

In reply to Gloria del Pilar Villarreal Cuellar

by Rick Jerz -
Hi Gloria, below are my own instructions that I follow each time I upgrade Moodle. I think that the text file should be easy to follow.

Yes, this is still working for me (Moodle 3.8.3+ (Build: 20200522)).  Someday, Moodle will make some changes and then this fix will probably not work, and I will have to seek Daniel's help once again.  But for now, things are good.

If you find some wording that would make my text file (instructions) better, let me know.

Also, Daniel recommends building this into another Moodle theme.  Yep, I understand what he is say, I am not skilled (yet) at theme building.  So I just apply these fixes every time I upgrade.