grade of the quiz not shown in the grade book

grade of the quiz not shown in the grade book

by michael michael -
Number of replies: 40

dears, 

i'm facing a strange problem with our new moodle 3.5, we was working with moodle 2.7 and now we imagrate to 3.5 the problem that the grades of quiz not shown in the grade book as you can see in my screen shot below, one for gradebook shows the student got zero on the other hand when i open the quiz itself i found that the student already attend the quiz ad got 80%.

also note that i set up a passing score to the quiz, and set also the Grade category  to be Simple weighted mean of grades.

gradbook

quiz grade

In reply to michael michael

Re: grade of the quiz not shown in the grade book

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So many possibilities...have you tried regrading the quiz?  Is cron running?  Have you overridden the grade at some point? 

In reply to Emma Richardson

by michael michael -

i tried and nothing change, why its not working automaticly like the old version.

by Susan Mangan -

Did the grade item get locked somehow? This happens to us sometimes and I can't quite recreate the steps to determine what causes the lock. (we are running version 3.3.x)

But if you turn your editing on in the Gradebook you should be able to see whether or not the item is locked or not.  If locked, unlock it and then the grade should transfer over from Quiz.

In reply to Susan Mangan

by michael michael -

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is it just this one student or everyone on this quiz?  Can you show us screenshots of the quiz set up screen (with feedback section) and then a screenshot of the specific grade settings (for that student grade, not the whole quiz)?

by michael michael -

check below images is that what you ask for.

Attachment quiz setup.jpg
Attachment user grade.jpg

by Hanaa Aboushahla -

Hi,

I am having the same problem;

Students mark for quiz #5 is not showing up in the grade book. They can see it from the actual quiz activity page but not the grade book.

Quiz setting was set to “Attempts must be submitted before time expires, or they are not counted” I switched it to be “Open attempts are submitted automatically” and regarded students attempt using “Regrade all” method but this did not fix the problem. I backed up the course and did a second attempt to regrade using “Dry run of full regrade” still that did not fix the problem.

Image from Quiz Review Attempt page - Grades are listed

Quiz Review attpet page

Image from Grade book page - Grades are set to 0.00

Student View page - Grade is listed 

Student view Grade book - Grade is not listed (Dropped)

Can someone help please?

Hanaa.

by Brian Warling -
We had the same problem the other day (using Moodle 3.7.6). The quiz was graded and the grades were available in the quiz. But the quiz grades in the gradebook all showed 0. The issue was with the multiplicator in the quiz grade item. It was set to 0. When this was reset to 1, the correct quiz grades now appeared in the gradebook. It looks like this is the same issue here -- in the screenshot posted earlier, the multiplicator is 0.

The screenshot below also shows this:

quiz grade item

by Susana Willemoës -

Hi Michael,

Did you find an answer to this, without manually editing the grade book? I have some students with the same problem.

Thank you!

by James Roberts -

I am having (apparently) the same problem. We are under Moodle 3.6. As a teacher, I can see the grades in the quiz activity when I look at them under Results of the quiz activity. The quiz activity appears in the Gradebook. But if I select grader view, single view or download (for example) from the Gradebook, all the grades are zero.

I tried moving the quiz activity to a different category in the Gradebook but this did not solve the problem. I also tried hiding and unhiding the quiz activity. Note that the quiz activity had some essay questions that required grading and we use the Grade Me plug-in. 

In reply to James Roberts

by reus ril -

i have the same issue in the grade, some are recorded, and some are not recorded, and some give a 0.00 grade

by Shayryl Ramos -

Hi,

May I know if this issue has been fixed? The same issue has been reported today under Moodle 3.9.

I am not sure what caused it, only 1 student has no grades in Quizzes activity.

Thank you.

In reply to Shayryl Ramos

by Emma Richardson -
Is it possible that the student has been given quiz preview permission?

by Davison Ramos de Almeida Junior 4C -
I think Emma Richardson was right. In my case, any attempts that have been done by users with empty grades were registered as "previous visualization" (free translation from portuguese) in the quiz.
Did not shown in gradebook

For users which grade was shown in gradebook:
Shown in gradebook
One number was set in attempt!

So, maybe it is because the user has permissions to previously see the quiz, then he/she cannot possess a grade for this item.
In reply to Shayryl Ramos

by Fernando Flores -

Hi the issue happened to me rigth now! I have never seen it before, but only with some grades, not all of them. The funny thing is that the grades are stored in the activities themselves but are not reflected on the gradebook...weird 😭

I had to enter the grades MANUALLY... 🤬

In reply to Fernando Flores

by Shayryl Ramos -
We have the same issue.

A number of faculty reported about it already the past weeks and students were almost given an F letter grade because the columns were empty.

by Miguel González Laredo -
Picture of Plugin developers
We keep suffering similar issue on moodle 3.9.x.

Our case: given students and given grade items (without detected pattern) obtain "-" as value on gradebook while they are properly grade inside quiz activity.

Our workaround: The only (and heavy) solution found is to try hide/save/display/save several objects on CONFIGURATION GRADEBOOK VIEW: category, calculations, etc.

Did anyone find the key about this strange behaviour? Thanks in advance

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Not sure how your quiz is set up, but in your quiz settings, do you have the Marks/Points checked off to be visible?

Attachment Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 10.01.30 PM.png
In reply to John Provasnik

by Fernando Flores -
Well I did, with the quiz it was easy to solve the problem by clicking the "regrade" button in the quiz grade display. But I couldn't do the same with other activities like homeworks or H5P... And that happened only with some activities not all of them.

by Jack Eapen -
I'm also facing the same issue with Moodle 3.9. all the remedies mentioned in this thread are already set in my Moodle. But grades stopped showing in gradebook for all quizzes
In reply to Jack Eapen

by Zaheer Daleel -

Doubt this will help vast majority, but just in case...
After trying everything mentioned above, I retraced my steps in building quizzes from scratch.

I inter-changed the max grade and individual question grade (using random numbers) - and those quizzes then appeared in my gradebook. 

another thing I did was un-check the 'exclude empty grades' option in the gradebook settings.

Hope it helps, good luck if it doesn't!

In reply to Zaheer Daleel

by Balazs DaVinci -
Hallo Zaheer,

I experience a similar issue (within Moodle 3.9+) like all other users has reported here in this thread.
One quiz does NOT show-up at all as column within the gradebook; although it has got the same settings like all other quizzes.
I have checked all the quiz and gradebook (category and item) settings. I have compared them with the other quiz settings and gradebook (category and item),
but I could not find any fault or difference.
I have tried to let Moodle to re-grade all activities, but that had no effect.

I dont't understand what you mean with:
"I inter-changed the max grade and individual question grade (using random numbers)"?

And I can't really find the "Exclude empty grades" within any of the "Edit category" option of the "Gradebook setup".

Which Moodle version are you using?

Many thanks in advance!
Kind regards
In reply to Balazs DaVinci

by shanshan gao -

Hi Balazs, 

I encountered the same problem. 3 quizzes appeared to be dropped on the gradebook. I have these three quizes setting which are exactly the same with other quizes that appeared properly in gradebook. 0 score has been set to be dropped in the gradebook.  The multiplicator of the individual quiz item has been set to 1 as others suggested in the thread. But the 3 quizzes still appeared to be dropped in gradebook. 

I also changed uncheck the "exclude empty " of the category, but it didn't resolve this problem as well. 

This error only disappears when I set the review option of the quiz to allow students to review the point of the quiz later after students' attempts while the quiz is still open. 

I am using moodle 3.9. 

Shanshan 

In reply to John Provasnik

by Jay Kolbet-Clausell -
This helped me solve the problem of the quiz not showing in the gradebook for students and being grayed out on the teacher view. Instead of 'points' I needed to check 'marks' with the way I had it setup in Moodle 4

by Juan Reyna -
We experienced this issue, but in our case it wasn't an error, it seems to be a feature .

When  a teacher gives a feedback to a student in a particular quiz,  the grade automatically get blocked even when the quiz still open.

The teacher gave feedback to all students, those who had tried the quiz and those  who didn't have tried  and this action made the grade get blocked, the Override check box automatically check.

The only thing I have to do to recalculate the grade is uncheck this option by activity in the edit icon on the corresponding columns of the activities in the grader report. Or telling the teacher not to fill a feedback

I hope this helps to someone.
In reply to Juan Reyna

by Danilo Alves de Jesus -
The way i solved this issue was set Override to "All" > Save and at next set Override to "None" > Save. The missing grades started to showing up on grades report
In reply to Danilo Alves de Jesus

by Frank Madison -

Did you have to do this for every student/quiz grade that was missing? 

In reply to Danilo Alves de Jesus

by Frank Madison -
Did this fix just the current problems, or did you notice any future instances of this happening again?
In reply to Frank Madison

by Marli Coetzee -

I am having this issue in moodle 4 as well, is there any further solution to the problem?

In reply to Marli Coetzee

by becky harvey -

I have tried all the suggestions and none are working for me.   Is the best is just to start over?

In reply to becky harvey

by Emma Richardson -
We can't answer these addons without more information.
Are all the grades not registering or just for certain students?
Have you checked all the settings? Both in quiz and quiz notifications?
Are you sure that the grades are not overridden manually?

by becky harvey -
No grades are showing for any course (5) in the particular category. I have paid several people to solve the problem and they can't find where it differs from the other 50'ish course that I have created. I was hoping not to start over from scratch and not to repeat the same mistake!
Attachment quiz.jpg
In reply to becky harvey

by Emma Richardson -
This one is fixed. Found out that students had been given the quiz preview permission.

by Etienne Landais -
This definitely is not fixed, in general. I see the same problem on a 3.9 installation where quiz preview permissions are not allowed. I have 80 quizzes in a course with identical settings, and where one and only one quiz suddenly produced 'error' as the grade for all users at the gradebook level, but shows individual student attempts and numerical grades, correctly, in the quiz results page. No changes have been made to that quiz in months. None of the possible causes/fixes listed in this thread address the problem.

Did anyone else find other causes/fixes on this problem?
In reply to Etienne Landais

by Simona Sliaupaite -
Hello, maybe there are some updates?
I'm facing the same problems with Moodle, tried all the suggestions which were discussed here, but nothing helped.
In reply to Simona Sliaupaite

by Jeff Shrek -
I am on v4.1.1 and having this issue.

It seems to be just a random few students that have the issue, and if they have the issue one Course/Quiz they will usually have it occur on several others as well.

Most students are okay and do not have any issues with these same Course/Quiz.

Screenshot 1 and 2 are using "Login as student". 

Screenshot 3 is grade report as Admin (will to next post).

Attachment pic1.jpg
Attachment pic2.jpg
In reply to Jeff Shrek

by Jeff Shrek -
And here is screenshot 3 ...
Attachment pic3.jpg
In reply to Jeff Shrek

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
When a person uses an Admin role to attempt a quiz, they are in Preview mode. It is not a true attempt. A Student role must be used to attempt a quiz.
A best practice is for an Admin to also have a student role login, as that always works as expected. The "login as student" can be occasionally buggy.
Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Jeff Shrek -
I did not attempt the quiz as "Admin logged in as student" ... I just logged in as them, so I could see the students attempt.

The student attempted and passed the quiz, but it is not in the grade report and it shows as zero (well blank actually, not even 0). There are a few other students where the same thing has happened. Most students are fine... they take the quiz and it shows up. But there are a few that it does not record properly.