How to play .swf files in Moodle

How to play .swf files in Moodle

by Tom Waspe -
Number of replies: 4
I'm trying to get Moodle learners read .pdf files in Moodle 3.5 without the learners downloading them. I want the learners to simply access the file online and read it online in Moodle. Do you have any ideas? One possible solution is to convert the .pdf file to a .swf file, upload the .swf via the File resource, and when the learner clicks the file it plays as a flash file. But I am experiencing a couple of problems with this solution. Firstly the flash file is way too small to read. How can I increase it size? Secondly, I would prefer that the learners do not have to firstly click on the file, but that Moodle simply displays the .swf file automatically. Any more ideas?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tom Waspe

Re: How to play .swf files in Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Tom. I wouldn't recommend swf because it doesn't work well on all platforms - such as with the mobile app.

What kind of content do you have in youyr PDF file? Ideally if it is mainly text you could add it to a Moodle Page or Book resource. This would work best on all platforms.

In reply to Tom Waspe

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tom,

I maintain the SWF Activity Module plugin for Moodle. Adobe Flash Player, which is required for viewing/playing/running SWF files, will reach its end-of-life, i.e. will no longer work, in 2020. I recommend NOT using SWF files for anything now.

All modern web browsers support displaying PDF files. To display PDF files online in Moodle:

1. Course page > Turn editing on
  2. Add an activity or resource > File > Add
  3. Input title/name & upload PDF file
  4. Appearance > Display: Options are Automatic, Embed, Force download, Open, & In pop-up
  5. Save and return to course
  6. Try it out

I hope this helps,

Matt

In reply to Tom Waspe

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hi Tom,

If you do not want the file to be downloaded then go with Mary suggestions, Page or Book.

You can also try Documentation tool type of H5P plugin which allows you to create a documentation with different types of settings available.

https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_hvp

In reply to Tom Waspe

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Just an added note, I've heard most browsers are discontinuing any support for flash player mid-2019, which means that even if flash isn't totally dead until Dec 2020, it is effectively dead as soon as browser support stops.

And, commenting on the other posts, H5P is pretty good--much improved from the original version--and the Book module is also terrific.  You could also do lesson, it remembers where you left off, which a pdf or Book won't (H5P might).