Branching Moodle

Branching Moodle

by tim chambers -
Number of replies: 9
I'm interesting in developing a new branch of moodle that takes it out of the academic realm. It probably won't need much work other than to remove some modules and change the moodle logos. Naturally, I intend to give credit to moodle but you wouldn't want people using my adaptation coming here for advice. So I need to at least remove all the icons and gifs so it has an entirely new identity.

I've already tried replacing the images in the themes file but they don't show up, instead I'm getting the default moodle images. Is there some way to do that with comparative ease?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to tim chambers

Re: Branching Moodle

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Tim,

I was intrigued by your post and thought would like to offer a few comments.

Although there many, many users of Moodle who reside in the "academic realm" increasingly in the commercial sector organisations are considering or using Moodle. The widespread adoption across academia is seen a very positive (from my experience), lending credibility and providing re-assurance to commercial implementors.

In addition, again from my own experience, those in the commercial sector who use open source tools are increasingly regarded as forward thinking and generally "savvy".

Last week I spent 4 days at the BETT Show in London talking non-stop (or so it seemed!) to individuals interested in Moodle - many from the commerical sector who had come to the show specifically to find our more about Moodle and how they might use or integrate their offering with it.

Association with Moodle at this time is desireable on both practical and more subjective levels.

Regarding your users coming here for advice, clearly that is your prerogative. However, have you considered that interaction with the community here (if they seek it out) may enhance their overall learning experience?

Best wishes with your endeavour. smile

Ray
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Nick Stephenson -
Hi Tim,

I agree strongly with Ray. I have been working on a variety of Moodle projects within the commercial sector, and its use in Universities has given commercial organizations the confidence to implement it.

I do however think a forum for Moodle in corporate learning/ training wouldn’t be a bad idea (after all we have one for k-12). I think it would make for some interesting discussion and sharing of tips and tricks…. Would anyone else be interested in this? If there is enough interest we could perhaps ask Martin to set one up.

Cheers

Nick

In reply to tim chambers

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Please make sure you abide by the GPL in your modifications (retain all copyright notices, including those on the admin page).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by S. Lupo -
Hi,
I intend to do something similar like tim chambers does. I  created my own theme and modified some files. But I didn't change any copyright notices in the files. To not confuse the customers I replaced all 'moodle' expression in the menu-textes with the name of my platform. Does the GPL require that the "normal" user can see  that my learning platform is moodle based?

Many thanks!
Regards
   Sandro 
In reply to S. Lupo

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Normal students and teachers, no. But the administrator should DEFINITELY see that it's Moodle from the copyright notice on the Admin page.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Copyright notice (was Branching Moodle)

by Dewet Diener -
I've been researching this, since it touches a great number of projects I'm involved in; this issue has come up before with numerous GPL projects as well. My research has shown that you may modify the copyright notices, as long as it still credits everyone it needs to.

The response from the FSF themselves to the PHP-Nuke project have been to the effect that you must keep copyright notices, although it is permissible to alter its form as long as it is kept appropriate. The whole argument rotates around section 2(c) of the GPL, and whether or not a website is "interactive use" of the program:

2.c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

Even then, there is still a lot of debate around the issue. Even in the Debian project, of which legal compliance and free software is virtually a trademark, there are those of the opinion that changing/replacing the copyright notice in a derivative work is encouraged. Of course, this is also tempered by local laws, which might impose additional restrictions or freedoms on you. Just searching on Google will show the widely varied debate this issue has started.

That aside, there is the obvious moral/ethical dilemma of removing copyright notices. What I have done is replace the copyright notice as it is now (since it is, in my opinion, an eyesore in an otherwise clean page) with a one-liner that states the overall copyright claim to the site and its content, along with a link to the combined copyrights page, in a similar fashion as the moodle credits page. That way, credit and copyright is being given where due, and satisfies the GPL. My reasoning is that I provide an umbrella application of which moodle is only a part, similar to the way moodle uses various (L)GPL'ed libraries to make it up, but credits each one individually on a seperate page (versus a huge monster of a general copyright statement).