Allow another attempt - teacher overrode no of set attempts

Allow another attempt - teacher overrode no of set attempts

by Ruth Andrews -
Number of replies: 1

Posting to see if anyone else has had a similar issue or explanation?

In an assignment Maximum attempts was set to 2 and Attempts reopened set to Manually.  When the teacher was grading using the grading page for individual students she set Allow another attempt to 'Yes' 'Saved changes' and then panicked because all her comments and grades disappeared (the grading page is supposed to clear ready for the second attempt) re-entered the grades and comments saved changes again, did this a few times and somehow managed to give some of her students a third attempt, which should not be possible given the assignment settings.

I have tried to replicate what she did both in a test assignment and in the actual assignment she was grading and can't, which is why I haven't posted this on the tracker.

She was working in the early hours of the morning and the only explanation I have is that there was maybe some process on our servers running in the background that caused this glitch.

Moodle version: 3.4.3 on windows servers.

I'd be interested if anyone else has experienced anything similar or can explain how this happened.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ruth Andrews

Re: Allow another attempt - teacher overrode no of set attempts

by Lynn Wilhelm -

We rarely use multiple attempts in assignments (we usually just set one, but allow manual reopening. But something similar happened once when we allowed a 2nd attempt. It turned out that the comments and rubric settings were still there, but in the first attempt. I recall there was a bit of red text with a link to switch to the other attempt. Everything was still there once I found that link. Since there are no settings in assignments to take the highest grade or other for multiple attempts (like quizzes do) it seems Moodle just treats an additional attempt like the first one, with a blank grading page.

Could this have been what happened?