Gradebook not updated fully with reset

Gradebook not updated fully with reset

by Tiffany Morgan -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all

We are on Moodle 3.5. In order to let users take/re-earn credit reset a course reset is conducted annually using admin block > reset. I selected delete all grades and delete all quiz attempts, delete all quiz overrides. 

Now I have a handful of users who have scores in the gradebook for several quizzes, but when you go the quiz item itself there is no attempt logged for that user on that item. When you login as those users and look at the quiz it shows no attempts. When I looked at the grade history for these users it shows no changes for those item (including no change made when I reset the quiz item). It is like it reset randomly skipped deleting quiz attempts from the gradebook for select set of random students. 

First off I'm wondering how I can correct this? I tried to regrade the quizzes thinking that might clear it out of the gradebook. That was unsuccessful. While I could compare the gradebook to the quizzes and manually override any scores in the gradebook where the is not an actual attempt, we have 3000 students and 18 quizzes, so that is less than ideal. I can't do another reset at this point as some students have actually completed work that needs to remain. Any recommendations?

My second issue is how to avoid this in the future? We've been using this process successfully for many years now so I'm not sure what may have caused this issue this time around. 

Thanks for any advice!

In reply to Tiffany Morgan

Re: Gradebook not updated fully with reset

by Tiffany Morgan -

I manually corrected these and validated that the gradebook matched the quizzes. And then this started happening again. Over the last 4 weeks I have students who yet again show a score earned in the gradebook but no score recorded in the quiz. 

Any recommendations as how to proceed would be very appreciate. I'd like to avoid wiping this course and starting over, but I fear that is my next step.