General developer forum

Display inline due date for activities

Picture of Tyler Bogdan
Display inline due date for activities

Hello,

I'm hoping to create a new plugin to meet a need that we have within our moodle and I was wondering if this is possible and if someone could point me in the right direction.  I'm hoping to add inline information on activities, most specifically, the due date for the activity.

I am new to moodle development and was hoping that there is a hook that can allow me to do this.  Perhaps another plugin already performs a similar function and I can view it's source code to get a better idea.  I understand that applying this across all activity types may present a challenge... but perhaps there is a way to add a setting to specific activity types (quiz, assignment etc) to allow for this?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of AL Rachels
Re: Display inline due date for activities
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Tyler.

Probably the simplest thing to try is to use the Generico filter with some of the countdown timers that are in the following two forums:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=261896

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=324771

And, of course, once you have the Generico filter installed, there are lots of other widgets besides countdown timers that can be used to enhance your site.

Picture of Tyler Bogdan

Hi Al,

Thanks for your reply!  While I can appreciate the utility of something like this it doesn't exactly work for what I need it to do.  It seems these Generico filters can only be used within HTML areas and so you couldn't add one to an assignment title for instance.  It would be possible to work around this limitation by just adding an html block after each assignment on the main course page but it appears the only way to set the end date for the count down in that case would be manually.  I see that there is a template in the second link you provided for grabbing that information automatically but it appears to me that it only works within the assignment.

What I'm trying to accomplish is a means for users to see due dates for each activity inline on the main course page.  Maybe this could be accomplished with a new course format plugin?

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Tyler,

It seems these Generico filters can only be used within HTML areas and so you couldn't add one to an assignment title for instance. Not entirely true. Create the filter in the description first, then cut and paste into the assignment title. Granted, in their present forms, I have not gotten one of the countdown timers to work this way, but many of the other filter widgets do. I would imagine if all the graphic elements of a timer were eliminated, it could be made to work in the title.

The way I've used them in the past is in the description, with the description set to be displayed on the course page. When I also wanted to include a bunch of directions, etc. in the description, I placed them in tabs and tab items filters, and then placed everything but the countdown timer in a toggle button filter. Click to show everything, click again to hide it again. Helps eliminate long scrolls.