Ordered vs. Unordered List Formatting Discrepancy

Ordered vs. Unordered List Formatting Discrepancy

by Dave Laurie -
Number of replies: 2

Hi there,

An instructor at our institution reported a strange formatting discrepancy in ATTO between bullet and numbered lists, namely that the numbered ones are indented and the bullet ones are not. Certainly not the biggest deal but certainly an annoyance for users who want to enter text in the system in a particular way.

Digging around, we found this is due to some css overriding the indent on the ul elements and have verified that this occurs in the base boost theme the moodle demo site in the latest version (see attached screenshot).

I'm wondering if this is something anyone else has run into and tried to overcome? Or if there is an existing tracker item I could through a vote onto to get this fixed upstream?

Regards, Dave

Attachment ol-ul-indents.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Laurie

Re: Ordered vs. Unordered List Formatting Discrepancy

by Ralitsa Hadzhieva -

I can report the exact same indentation bug in Moodle 3.5.2. So far I haven't found any better solution than setting an inline left margin for the list. For example:

<ul style="margin-left: 2rem;">

Hope this gets solved in future versions of Moodle.

Cheers!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dave Laurie

Re: Ordered vs. Unordered List Formatting Discrepancy

by Ralitsa Hadzhieva -

Quick update:

I've tested this on a few different browsers and noticed that the bullets are not indented properly only in Google Chrome.

Please check the below image:

You'll notice some other differences in the way different browsers display the list, e.g. the margin between bullet and text, the size of the bullet itself, the overall font size...

So you only need to manually indent the bullets if the majority of your users are working with Chrome. If multiple browsers are used throughout the organization, I'd suggest double-checking any style customization in all of them, just in case.

This isn't the first time I've found Chrome annoying for styling Moodle courses. It keeps doing awkward stuff like adding random spans with inline styles concerning font-size, line-height etc... It just has its own opinion about how pages should be displayed and that's that smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)