General discussion

MoodleNet front-end development update

Picture of Doug Belshaw 🇪🇺☠️✊
MoodleNet front-end development update

Here’s a quick overview of the current front-end development work that the good people at Outlandish have been busy with over the last few weeks. It’s a work in progress, as you’ll see, but we thought you might like a sneak peek!

to see the video on YouTube. Please do leave us a comment there, here on the forum, or on the blog post. We'd love your feedback!

Picture of Noel De Martin
Re: MoodleNet front-end development update

Great work so far, I have a couple of comments.

The first one is about the registration form. I think it looks great, and having the preview to the right is pretty nice, but there are a couple of questions that come to mind. The first one is about the images, I'm not sure that having the inputs to update them should be *only* on the right. I couldn't read the text because I'm on mobile and it's too small on the video, but from the get-go it didn't look like those were inputs to upload the images. Seems like the part in the right is "preview" (so, makes you think "not editable") and the part on the left is the form (so, seems like image inputs are missing). The other question is, will this preview not be available for mobile? That's ok, it can be an added functionality for desktop, but in the screencast #3 from UX milestone 2, the form contained the inputs for images, so I think this could be the same form for desktop.

The other comment I have is about the first page a user sees when logging into the platform. I agree there should be a "featured communities" somewhere, although I'll leave the discussion as to how those are chosen for another time. But should this be the first page? I think this is similar to what happens with Twitter/Facebook, that the first thing a user sees is a "curated" list of content from the platform. Maybe a better way would be to show "Yours" first, and in case the user doesn't belong to any communities, display a message like "hey, you haven't joined any communities yet, here are some suggestions to get you started based on your interests" or something. I guess this issue is more complex than only what the user sees first, so it depends on the philosophy of how users will browse and discover content in general.

Picture of Doug Belshaw 🇪🇺☠️✊
Re: MoodleNet front-end development update

Thanks Noel! (and for taking the time to meet Alex and me in Barcelona last week)

1. Yes, I think you're right. The workflow looked sub-optimal as I was only sharing my browser window, so you didn't see the file-picker show up. And yes, I need to discuss mobile options with Outlandish.

2. I think we've got a couple of options for the first page a user sees. If they choose tags on sign-up, then we can show related communities and collections. If they don't, however, we'll need a generic page, which can be featured communities. Remember, as well, that notifications will guide users to relevant content, too!