Upgrading to 3.5.2

Upgrading to 3.5.2

by Philip Cullen -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I have a number of Moodle installations running either version 3.0.3 or 3.4 that I would like to upgrade to 3.5.2 because they are now a bit flaky. 

I think it probably time to start with a fresh installation of 3.5.2 for each and then copy over the folders and files to the new installation. I have File Manager access through cPanel but I'm unsure which folders to copy over to the new installs and if there will be any problems.

All and any advice would be really appreciated.

Best regards,

Phil     

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Philip Cullen

Re: Upgrading to 3.5.2

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Define 'flakey'?

I'm also not sure what you mean by 'copy folders and files'. If you don't have too many courses you could use backup and restore to move courses. But the ideal solution probably hinges on what problem you want to fix (other than - not unreasonably - upgrading). 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Philip Cullen -

Hi Howard,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, I really appreciate it.

I've been running these Moodle courses since v1.9 and have updated Moodle on a regular basis since then but now the updating always seems to be more problematic with remedial action to be taken before each new update.

What I wanted to do was to create some new installations of Moodle 3.5.2 and copy the old folders/databases over to the new folders/databases. Clearly I don't need or want to copy everything over and I saw a post somewhere a few weeks ago explaining how to do just what I wanted ... except when I now come to do it I cannot find it again. 

Best regards,

Phil

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Look for migration in the documentation - that will explain the process.

If you have an existing problem with your site, you might try and fix that first instead of just hoping an upgrade will fix it...

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not the expert on these matters, but I too regularly upgrade my moodle.

What I would do is to install an experimental copy of exactly what your production Moodle is, then try upgrading the experimental copy to Moodle 3.5.2.  Then, once successful upgrading the old, if I wanted to start with a brand new Moodle 3.5.2, I would copy the database and moodledata from my experimental Moodle to this new install.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Phil,

Been there, done that, on losing a Moodle link to something interesting I need to do or try in Moodle. Took me a while, but I have adopted a process that helps me keep track of things...I have created a Moodle folder in my bookmarks in Firefox. Now, every time I run across something I might want to do/try later, I bookmark the forum page into my Moodle bookmark folder. I even have subfolders to separate things. I periodically go through the bookmarks and remove the ones that are 'Done" or the ones that no longer apply.

HTH