Grades incorrectly calculated

Grades incorrectly calculated

by Mike Stearns -
Number of replies: 2

We have created an online exam with 50 questions, multiple choice, equal weight per question.  Lets hypothesize that a student answered 40 out of 50 possible questions correctly. Sometimes (but not always), the exam will be scored 40/60 or 67%.  Other times, it's scored correctly, 40/50 or 80%.

Can someone help?  Thanks!thoughtful

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Stearns

Re: Grades incorrectly calculated

by Mike Stearns -
Well....I went back into quiz editing, resaved all the questions and resaved the quiz...and all is well.  I don't know how things got messed up to begin with though.  In any case, it's a happy ending.
In reply to Mike Stearns

Re: Grades incorrectly calculated

by Jack Quake -

Mike,

I had the exact same thing happen to me.  I tried your suggestions above, but they didn't work.

The problem:  4 questions total, but could only score 80% (4/5).  The system thought there was another question somewhere.

The fix: 
In the Quiz table, I edited 2 fields to correct the issue.  The "questions" field had 5 entries.  Knowing that I had only 4 questions, I kept eliminating one of the numbers and then trying a test to see if a question disappeared.  I finally found one that I could eliminate that didn't make a question disappear.  That one, I left deleted.

The second field was called "sumgrades" and had the number 5 in it.  Again, knowing that I only had 4 questions, I reduced this to 4 in the field, saved the change (at the database level).  Then tried taking the test again.

Yes!  It worked!  I scored 100%.

What may have caused this?
In making the test, I added a random question, then learned what it was for, then deleted it.  This was the only delete I made, so maybe this caused then to get out of sync.  Sounds like a bug.